Starbucks

www.starbucks.com
There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks

Barista

Former Employee - Barista in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
Former Employee - Barista in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Starbucks part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Make your own drinks and friendly staff

Cons

Can get busy at times lots of shouting

5367 Other Employee Reviews for Starbucks (View Most Recent)

Shockingly disorganised and nepotistic

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in London, England (UK)

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many pleasant colleagues. Some (or maybe many) pleasant customers. Met some celebrities including Alice Cooper who is one of the nicest people I have ever met, despite the scary image. Was always paid on time. I think opening and closing shifts were mostly fairly distributed.

Cons

1. I started with a four or five spanish women. We all had the same standard of work, but miraculously when it came time to promote to supervisor, all the spanish women were selected. The assistant manager was spanish. I am sure that was just a coincidence.

2. We were compelled to empty the womens sanitary towel containers. I was sure that was niether legal nor hygienic and that they are usually removed by rentokil etc and incinerated.

3 I remember another occasion where a sewage pipe exploded and flooded the ground floor in human excrement. I was asked to clean it up. It is difficult to refuse when you need your job, and I was younger then and not as able to stand up for myself. It subsequently flooded again and I don't remember if I had to mop it again but I think I did. The carpet was subsequently replaced. They care about the customer not smelling it, but not about the staff that has to clean it. How charming.

Stop telling people they are partners. This is a meaningless insult. If you work for John Lewis it means something, if you work for STarbucks it doesnt. Also, stop having tasting sessions for staff where you pretend that coffee tasting is like wine tasting. It is pretentious and mendacious, and nobody is taken in by it. Stop calling counter staff Barista. In England it sounds like the name for an advocate, and the situation of counter staff at starbucks and advocates could not be more different. It is like calling dustmen, sanitary engineers. It is nonsense.

It was ok. I found it had the tendency to micro-manage it's employees. This frustrated me a lot as I need independence.

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks

I worked at Starbucks full-time

Pros

They definately set high standards for the employees. They do a great job of engaging with their customers so as to bring them back.They provide excellent training and provide good benefits such as dental, rrsp's, stock options.

Cons

I found the micro-managing to be too much. Everything thing down to the nitty gritty was scrutinized. Store opens very early so it is difficult to have to wake up every morning at 4:00am. Customer base tends to be very picky. Of course it is understandable but it just comes across as though they are high and mighty. It is hard to speak with people who feel they are Kings and Queens. Too Apologetic for silly things which further enforces the high-mindedness of some. :)

Get rid of your micro-managing tactics and provide the employees with more autonomy where they feel like adults and not children in the first grade. Let them learn and understand the job and all of its intricacies then let go. Trust and in turn they will performand not feel restricted and out of place. Please up the wages fofr high volume stores. Tips do not cut it when people are cheap. People at low volume and high volume stores should not make the same. There needs to be some better compensation for those who have to work harder.

There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks