There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks

great friendly place to work

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks  in  Cottage Grove, MN
Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Cottage Grove, MN

I worked at Starbucks part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

benefits, friendly coworkers, great competitive pay.

Cons

not really any cons, great place to work.

no advice to give management.

4583 Other Employee Reviews for Starbucks (View Most Recent)

Fun and always positive place

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks  in  Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for less than a year

Pros

very flexible great environment to be in

Cons

schedule changes weekly hard to make long term plans

none they are great and always willing to teach and the learn too

great company for supplemental income, not a career

Former Employee - Barista and Shift Lead  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Barista and Shift Lead in Dallas, TX

I worked at Starbucks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Full Benifits, dental, vision, health, 401k, assistance with adoption (i know random), FUN place to work, free coffee and Tea each week to take home, easy espresso machine, structured

Cons

Low pay, not worth taking the next step as a Shift Supervisor the money is NOT worth the extra responsibility. Being a Barista is a lot of fun, it may be overwhelming at first but you catch on really fast. I used to help train the new employees, I was a Shift Lead and a Barista.

I've seen both sides and like I said the Shift position is not worth it.
    The company got rid of the "Assistant Manager" position to cut back on costs, so the work load that they would have done is now being added to the store manager and your position.

You have to be available to work a minimum of something like 50 hours a week to be completely open in order to start out at an entry level position (Barista). They will not work you the 50 hours, but you have to have that open availibility so they can schedule you pretty much any time.

A Shift Lead has to be avaiiable around 70 hours Dont quote me on the exact hours a week you must leave open, but it's something like that. Which makes it hard to plan a life outside of work.

One day you could work a closing shift, and then have to turn around and be back at work first thing in the morning (4am ish)

Your sleep cycle gets messed up.

No tattoos or piercings at all. Back in the day you could get away with something small, now they are really strict about it. They company claims one of their values is to "Embrace Diversity".... that doesnt seem like it does.
       I understand if you had offensive tattoos and piercings all over your face, but I think in moderation (limit the number visiable) they need to change this policy. Lots of people have both.

Not a "career" type of job. They pay too little to support yourself let alone a family. A lot of retired people will come in and apply, just b/c its something to do and to supplement income.

If it was a career job, I would have stayed and in general there would be MUCH LESS TURNOVER.
     I was with the company for 5 years, I loved it.

Try to keep employees on somewhat of a regular schedule, increase pay for Shift Leads, embrace diversity! - tattoos and piercings.
      If the pay was higher you could make a career out of being a Barista or a Shift Lead, but that is just not possible.

There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!