There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks

Great company for a college student

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Joplin, MO
Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Joplin, MO

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fantastic benefits and a quick pace.

Cons

On the plus, the store was always clean. On the minus, I was always the cleaner.

You work very hard alongside us!

4863 Other Employee Reviews for Starbucks (View Most Recent)

Great growth opportunities, but top level leadership is greedy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are a lot of development opportunities provided to partners if you are motivated (training, mentoring, development plans). The company highly encourages partners to grow into new roles and it is not uncommon for somone with the right abilities to get a position with no prior history. In other words, you are given a chance to prove yourself and you are not put down if your are, as an example, in Finance but want to move into Sales. A good manager would support you and work with you to achieve your goal. I also enjoy the store discount and the casual dress code in my department.

Cons

The "merit" increases are a joke and a waste of time for everyone. There are all very formulaic and gave nothing to do with your quality of work. Basically everyone has a budget on what they can spend (let's say an average of 2.5% per employee) and, through politics, some people will get 2% and some will get 3%. They should just skip it and give everyone a cost of living increase and create a seperate process for recognizing partners who are acting above expectations. The parking sucks. The CEO is totally full of it...he talks about sharing the wealth at our Shareholders meeting but then there are no bonuses and the 401k and stock options aren't as good as they used to be. Meanwhile, he is receiving raises. There are no bonuses for most of the company and the holidays off are pretty skimpy compared to other competitors.

Provide more parking and consider holiday bonuses or profit sharing when company is doing well.

Good

Current Employee - Barista in Henrietta, NY
    Current Employee - Barista in Henrietta, NY

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than an year)

Pros

benefits
    fun environment
    regular raise
    flexible scheduling
    tips in addition to hourly wage

Cons

low wage
    very fast-paced
    stay late if working night shift

There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks