It's a good starting place

Former Employee - Barista  in  Tacoma, WA
Former Employee - Barista in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Starbucks part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I worked at Sbux while in college, and it was the perfect job. Flexible schedule and great co workers

Cons

Incompetent Sr management. Because of all the easy pay benefits such as apps and gift cards tips went down dramatically

Other Reviews for Starbucks

Great growth opportunities, but top level leadership is greedy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There are a lot of development opportunities provided to partners if you are motivated (training, mentoring, development plans). The company highly encourages partners to grow into new roles and it is not uncommon for somone with the right abilities to get a position with no prior history. In other words, you are given a chance to prove yourself and you are not put down if your are, as an example, in Finance but want to move into Sales. A good manager would support you and work with you to achieve your goal. I also enjoy the store discount and the casual dress code in my department.

Cons

The "merit" increases are a joke and a waste of time for everyone. There are all very formulaic and gave nothing to do with your quality of work. Basically everyone has a budget on what they can spend (let's say an average of 2.5% per employee) and, through politics, some people will get 2% and some will get 3%. They should just skip it and give everyone a cost of living increase and create a seperate process for recognizing partners who are acting above expectations. The parking sucks. The CEO is totally full of it...he talks about sharing the wealth at our Shareholders meeting but then there are no bonuses and the 401k and stock options aren't as good as they used to be. Meanwhile, he is receiving raises. There are no bonuses for most of the company and the holidays off are pretty skimpy compared to other competitors.

Provide more parking and consider holiday bonuses or profit sharing when company is doing well.

I'm free and encouraged to provide customers with the kind of above-and-beyond service that I find so rewarding to give.

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks  in  Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for less than a year

Pros

Customers come first, but employees are valued at a close second. Also, there's a great work/home separation: baristas, at least, are never asked to work off the clock.

Cons

Starbucks corporate tries to enforce values, but treatment of employees (and of customers) will vary depending on the store manager. Make sure you pick the right one for you.

Make the packaging of cold cup lids color-coded. Seriously.

There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!