There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks

great place to work, corporate losing touch with needs of retail staff

Current Employee - Store Manager in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Store Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Happy work environment
Great company insurance and total benefits package
Extremely flexible schedule

Cons

Corporate losing touch with needs of store managers and staff
Alignment of retail product in grocery and other outlets harming sales in stand-alone stores with no change to store targets, which greatly affects ability to earn quarterly bonus.
Coupons in grocery even worse
Getting up at 4am to come to work!

You can only do more with less for so long, then you start doing less with less. 5h/week to be a store manager and the other 35h being an overpaid barista is not an effective way to train and motivate staff to excellence.

4863 Other Employee Reviews for Starbucks (View Most Recent)

The guests were the higthlight of the job!

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

All the coffee we wantedto drink. discounts and easy uniforms.

Cons

young managers without discernment, played favorites often and didn't do their share of work

use the cameraq you have everywhere and see how wrongly the policies are abused. The comoany used to be a place to be super proud of mentioning as a former employee. Sadly all they care about is numbers and quasa reports these days, everything else is replaceable.

one step above MacDonald's

Current Employee - Barista in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Barista in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

All the free coffee you can drink (sort of)

Cons

Lots of promises of ethical behavior but not much actual ethical behavior (manipulating employees into working off the clock at 1:00 am, when you've been there for about 14 hours), promising a low cost health insurance option (that takes up a two week paycheck for the basic package), promise of career advancement and tuition reimbursement (if by advancement you mean being passed over for someone who is less qualified because of religious beliefs and by tuition reimbursement you mean for business classes only (not even math classes count)). Exploitation of coffee farmers despite massive campaign to brain wash employees into thinking they work for a good company, avg cost per pound to farmers 1.26$, retail cost of pound of coffee anywhere from 13-18$. Exploitation of domestic workers, lobbied against a living wage, lobbied against healthcare reform. Keeping a million part time workers on staff, so you never have to pay anyone for full time or overtime work. Hours so flexible most of the time they do not exist, even if you were promised a full time position. Distributor of Ethos water, one of the biggest "we are helping" scam in existence. Absolute refusal to work with school schedule, despite many promises to the contrary. Feel free to fact check this, I left out the really bad stuff. I would like to say however that throwing away food because you don't want to give it to the (Starbucks approved) food drive people is just about the worst thing I've ever seen; well besides that one time my manager chased a transvestite on a bike out of the drivethrough.

You are just a manager, your role in the company is minimal at best. You aren't important, you don't clean anything, you don't make anything, you delegate even the tasks you aren't supposed to (counting down for the night, food count, etc...), there could be no bigger parasite in the whole of corporate america as pointless as a Starbucks manager. Your job is to make a schedule once a week get it right. Stop complaining I'm not your mommy.

There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks