Starbucks

www.starbucks.com

Barista

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks  in  San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in San Francisco, CA

Pros

This is a great company to work for! It is a perfect job for students or young people who are looking for customer service or general work experience. I took a job here when I moved back home after graduating college and even though I thought I was underemployed, I do not regret the decision for a second. Starbucks offers flexible hours with mostly friendly and young people. The company offers incredible benefits for only part-time work and even offers some tuition reimbursement.

Cons

It can be tough to get hours if you aren't a supervisor or are willing to work at multiple locations when they need someone. Like much of the food service industry, the job requires a lot of hard work (and often fake smiles) for very little compensation. Customers who are caffeine or sleep deprived can be a pain at times and you just have to learn to deal with it.

Pay supervisors more. They do middle management level work with little wage increase.
Keep up the good work!

Other reviews for Starbucks

The benefits of Starbucks outweigh the often terrible customers

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in New York, NY

Pros

Insurance, flexibility, ability to transfer or move up, Great flexibility, paid vacation, stock options, three free drinks per shift, partner discount, partner perks through other businesses, discount on cell phone bill

Cons

Sometimes you have to work with people that you may not totally get along with, but that is not that big of a deal. The worst part of Starbucks is dealing with customers. More specifically, customers that haven't had their coffee yet. I ask them how they are and their response is "tall coffee." Yeah, I'm tall coffee, too, thanks for asking! There are some really awesome customers too, but man, those terrible ones are awful.

I would work here for free if I could!

Former Employee - Barista  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Barista in Orlando, FL

Pros

Starbucks treats their employees, no matter what "level" they're on, like gold. They have an extensive interview process even just for a barista. When hired, the first month almost was consistent, in-depth training. Not only are you learning basic drink recipes, but also about the history of Starbucks and coffee as a whole. Co-workers were amazing and regularly recognize when "going the extra mile" to help each other out. Starbucks makes employees sit down and rest for 10 minutes every two hours of your shift, on the clock. Benefits are great and are available after working 1000 hours total, but only require a minimum of 20 hours per week to maintain them.

Cons

Morning shifts can start really early -- 3am in some stores. Sometimes the amount of cleaning was a lot, but also necessary to keep the company's extremely high standards in place.

There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks.

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!