Starbucks

There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks

Fabulous Company

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Bangor, ME
Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Bangor, ME

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Starbucks takes great care of all of its employees from Barista to the higher level employees. If you want a company with morality and a conscience with a strong opportunities for advancement this is a great place to work. Stock options, 401k matching and a large number of other benefits are a part of the job.

Cons

This is a fast paced job and it really isn't for everybody. Management can sometimes slip through the cracks and you may end up with a fantastic or sometimes a less than fantastic boss. You should be prepared for either situation when taking a job with Starbucks. It is hard work but it is totally worth it if you can manage it.

Remote locations can, from time to time, receive much less attention from district and regional managers. By allowing such locations to slip through the cracks, inconsistencies sometimes arise and the customer experience is dramatically affected. My location has a manager who has repeatedly been reported by partners to district and/or regional managers but never the partner contact center. Customers have a very bad perception of my manager who rules by fear tactics, yells on the floor at baristas and openly insults people while lauding their behavior. These are a small number of the indiscretions of this particular store manager. Being remote there is little oversight, we are wildly successful because we are the only show in town, and the store manager has a lot of power and uses it indiscriminately. Nobody who has reported her has lasted past the reporting of the event. As such it is exceptionally unlikely that I will ever say anything other than anonymously on sites such as this one. I really love my job and this company but working for a manager who brags about writing their own reviews is a moderately miserable task and tough to deal with on the best days. I am a customer favorite and have the major honor of being a friend and confidant to almost all of the regular customers. Not a single customer who has ever talked to me about my place of employment has anything but scathing remarks or general disgust for my boss. Professionally and personally I do not feel comfortable responding to these comments with my personal opinion, but I do listen and take in all of the things they say. Bottom line... customers have left our location for lesser coffee shops because of the manager despite the fact that our location is not only growing but booming. Growth, though a fantastic measure of success may not reflect management but the behind the scenes efforts of other employees who strive to improve the customer experience and work tirelessly against anything that negatively impacts it.

5107 Other Employee Reviews for Starbucks (View Most Recent)

Starbucks has been one of the most rewarding jobs in my life.

Current Employee - Barista in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Barista in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Sense of community, customers, and the discount on beverages.

Cons

Smelling like a latte, dealing with negative customers.

I love this job!

Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It is a great company that really makes it easy to be an employee.

Cons

I found it hard to have work life balance,

There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks