There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks

Fabulous Company

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  Bangor, ME
Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Bangor, ME

I have been working at Starbucks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Starbucks takes great care of all of its employees from Barista to the higher level employees. If you want a company with morality and a conscience with a strong opportunities for advancement this is a great place to work. Stock options, 401k matching and a large number of other benefits are a part of the job.

Cons

This is a fast paced job and it really isn't for everybody. Management can sometimes slip through the cracks and you may end up with a fantastic or sometimes a less than fantastic boss. You should be prepared for either situation when taking a job with Starbucks. It is hard work but it is totally worth it if you can manage it.

Remote locations can, from time to time, receive much less attention from district and regional managers. By allowing such locations to slip through the cracks, inconsistencies sometimes arise and the customer experience is dramatically affected. My location has a manager who has repeatedly been reported by partners to district and/or regional managers but never the partner contact center. Customers have a very bad perception of my manager who rules by fear tactics, yells on the floor at baristas and openly insults people while lauding their behavior. These are a small number of the indiscretions of this particular store manager. Being remote there is little oversight, we are wildly successful because we are the only show in town, and the store manager has a lot of power and uses it indiscriminately. Nobody who has reported her has lasted past the reporting of the event. As such it is exceptionally unlikely that I will ever say anything other than anonymously on sites such as this one. I really love my job and this company but working for a manager who brags about writing their own reviews is a moderately miserable task and tough to deal with on the best days. I am a customer favorite and have the major honor of being a friend and confidant to almost all of the regular customers. Not a single customer who has ever talked to me about my place of employment has anything but scathing remarks or general disgust for my boss. Professionally and personally I do not feel comfortable responding to these comments with my personal opinion, but I do listen and take in all of the things they say. Bottom line... customers have left our location for lesser coffee shops because of the manager despite the fact that our location is not only growing but booming. Growth, though a fantastic measure of success may not reflect management but the behind the scenes efforts of other employees who strive to improve the customer experience and work tirelessly against anything that negatively impacts it.

4640 Other Employee Reviews for Starbucks (View Most Recent)

Starbucks has been one of the most rewarding jobs in my life.

Current Employee - Barista  in  Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Barista in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Sense of community, customers, and the discount on beverages.

Cons

Smelling like a latte, dealing with negative customers.

Love, love, love my job.

Current Employee - Barista  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Barista in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Starbucks part-time for less than a year

Pros

I've only been at Starbucks for a few months now.

-Tips. About $30 a week.
    -Regular customers can make your day.
    -Unlimited free drinks.
    -One pound of free coffee a week.
    -Plenty of hours to go around.
    -Different positions to work, bar, store support, order support, DTO, cold bar..
    -If you work morning shift, yes, it's VERY early, 4:30 AM early, but you are off by 10:30AM and have the whole day ahead of you.
    -The training, at least at my store, was awesome. From the moment I started, I learned everything about Starbucks, its history, the history of coffee beans, Howard Shultz's story, etc.

Cons

The only cons I can think of are that they started me off at minimum wage, but I've always started minimum wage everywhere thanks to many retail jobs, but from what I hear, there is a .60 cent raise every six months.

Only other con I can think of is you HAVE to find someone to replace your shift for you. Even if you're sick and laying in the hospital, you're expected to call everyone and ask them to work for you, and 90% of the time, they don't want to and you either better be extremely sick, or get hopped up on meds and just go for your few hours.

My Starbucks is listed as the fastest in the nation, average drive through being a 30 second window. My manager pushes us hard, makes unreasonable requests, and constantly makes us move, move, move. At first, it got on my last nerves, but it makes us so much faster. After visiting other Starbucks around town, I saw how slow and unclean other stores were, and it made me appreciate mine much more. So management, don't be afraid to push your baristas for better service, because waiting for your drinks for ten minutes as opposed to 30 seconds makes all the difference.

There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks

Worked for Starbucks? Contribute to the Community!