There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks

Excellent for PT/FT Partners but not so much for SM

Current Employee - Store Manager in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Store Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits & culture. Huge team oriented culture. High caliber people that really care about their jobs - for the most part.

Cons

Politics. Change is constant and good but they try to implement too much at once rather than timing things effectively. Floor sets and promos generally go hand in hand but they always tag extra things into those roll-outs which increase complexity and make it difficult for the team to fully embrace. It is almost as if the company is too big and there are so many opinionated people in positions that affect stores forcing their agendas (program changes) to happen all at once. It really puts a lot of added stress on leadership and that stress trickles down to the teams. It's unfortunate because they lose great candidates as a result.

Take a deep breath and take a step back. Develop a stronger action plan to integrate all of these new processes and ways of doing things. Also, each major program change takes time to implement effectively. Stores really need practice to make perfect. Also, favoritism needs to stop. I have personally had 8 DMs in 3 1/2 years. There is a reason for this. The realignments and people movement meant I had to prove myself over and over again. Of those 8 there are only 4 that I truly respected and admired. You need to stop rewarding people that only talk the talk and play the game and focus on those that generate results. The same can be said for Store Managers. Some are better at schmoozing and talking the talk but they don't generate results with integrity. High volume stores can hide a lot of flawed leaders - low volume stores have SMs that really bust their behinds and have to run a very tight ship. Focus on those managers - they are the stars and there are a lot more of them.

4782 Other Employee Reviews for Starbucks (View Most Recent)

Avoid at all costs

Current Employee - Barista in Cardiff, CA
    Current Employee - Barista in Cardiff, CA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None really, besides drinks at first until you realize they are all over sugared liquid candy. i guess benefits if you are over 60+ like most people that work there. oh and being off work is definitely a pro

Cons

everything from walking into the store to working basically

95% of the people that work at Starbucks are not planning on working there our whole lives.

Starbucks is an amazing job...if you don't have to pay your own rent.

Current Employee - Barista in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Barista in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The insurance is amazing, probably the best out there, my deductible is $400! After a certain period of time, you start to accrue paid vacation hours. You get free drinks while you're at work, and when you're not at work, you get 30% off...you get the same 30% off all merchandise in the store. You're able to pick up shifts at other stores if you need extra hours and vice versa, you can get others to cover your shifts if need be. You get weekly mark outs, which allows you to get a pound of coffee OR any tea product, including the tins of tea bags, boxes of chai and any VIA pack. Starbucks also provides a 401K plan, stock options, the cup fund and more. Their benefits are truly unbeatable.

Cons

Most Starbucks open extremely early, which is a con for me. Another con is making close to minimum wage. So, although the benefits are great, they don't pay you enough to live on.

The only downside is the hourly pay rate, PLEASE pay these people more!! Almost everyone I've worked with at Starbucks LOVES their job, including me, so we definitely deserve to be paid enough to live on our own!!

There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks