There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks

Great company but going through growing pains.

Former Employee - Senior Brand Manager in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Senior Brand Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

People are amazing, passionate about coffee and genuine. The brand is strong and unique, nothing like it. Howard Schultz, is a visionary and inspirational leader. Not typical to have the founder to be present and involved at a Fortune 500 company.

Cons

Very top heavy organization. Decision-making only at the president level. Very hierarchical and political. Focused too much on career or school pedigree and not on potential in employees.

Advice to Management

Need to trust middle management, provide more responsibility, hire more junior people, and bring back entrepreneurial culture.

reviews filtered by

Craziest store ever but interesting times

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

I work at a very, very high volume store and it can be crazy one minute and then dead the next or chaos the entire night/day but man can it be fun when you're on a roll! I have some of the coolest coworkers and the customers can be such a blast to interact with, especially the regulars! I've made some fun memories here, sure, but you MUST be able to deal with the stresses of a slow day or an all out madness rush of a day! Shoutout to our shift leaders and even some of the upper management, y'all are the bomb for being able to do what you do!

Cons

Sometimes, our customers can be downright ridiculous, if not complete nitwits. There are also the crazies who don't know how to think for anyone but themselves and they can be so disheartening. Also, some coworkers are just downright lazy. And as for holidays, you will end up working every single holiday unless they call in extra people. Our store has some of the most inconsistent hours around, some of the most ridiculous management, and there's no end in immediate sight. I suggest keeping an eye on your hours if you're going to work in a high volume store!

Advice to Management

Have mercy on your baristas, they're humans just like you and would like it if you said thank you just the way some of their shift leaders do every now and then. Appreciation and interaction, along with being out on the floor with them to experience the day with them, can go a REALLY, really long way in gaining their trust and, most of all, honest respect.

2. Challenging

Current Employee - Store Manager in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Team atmosphere, customers, unlimited coffee, good benefits. Promotional opportunities available based on results and abilities, not politics. Flexible hours.

Cons

As with all retail labor constraints. Demanding job with limited resources. Technology is behind other retailers. Develop closer relationships with store team and do not develop close knit relationships with peers or management outside of the store, which does not allow for support or trust.

There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks