Starbucks

www.starbucks.com
  www.starbucks.com
There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks

Great company but going through growing pains.

Former Employee - Senior Brand Manager in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Senior Brand Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

People are amazing, passionate about coffee and genuine. The brand is strong and unique, nothing like it. Howard Schultz, is a visionary and inspirational leader. Not typical to have the founder to be present and involved at a Fortune 500 company.

Cons

Very top heavy organization. Decision-making only at the president level. Very hierarchical and political. Focused too much on career or school pedigree and not on potential in employees.

Need to trust middle management, provide more responsibility, hire more junior people, and bring back entrepreneurial culture.

5135 Other Employee Reviews for Starbucks (View Most Recent)

Good & Bad

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Starbucks part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The flexible schedule can be nice. Customers were mostly fun and interesting. The free drinks were a huge perk!!

Cons

Scheduling issues were a problem during my 7 months...I was consistently scheduled for just under the amount of hours that would have allowed me to qualify for the "great" health insurance, and repeatedly scheduled for shifts that would conflict with handling my (consistent) class schedule. Also there was a lot of pressure to heavily promote products such as the super expensive coffee machines during sale periods. New employees were given physical work that would have been more safely done by other employees.

Please make sure individual store managers can better work with employees on scheduling so that they can qualify for health insurance plus maintain a good work/life balance. A lot of Starbucks employees are in college, and being able to perform well in school requires enough time to sleep and do assignments between shifts.

It's okay.

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

you get tips, health insurance 401k and stock, make great friends.

Cons

Does not pay the bills! goodfor a first job or college student.
    very strict and very corporatized. It all depends on location, some stores are very laid back, some are insane, I work at a very busy store and it is unbelievably stressful.

There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks