There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks

Excellent company for driven, young individuals

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

(1) Benefits - Starbucks was one of the first to offer health insurance to it's part time partners and it's a very nice package. Free coffee and tips are a nice plus.
(2) High expectations - Starbucks asks a lot of you. Starbucks thinks you're worth more and they push you.
(3) Mobility - You can work anywhere in the world and moving up is a totally realistic scenario.
(4) Fun - You meet every flavor of person in the world and make new friends everyday. I used to be painfully shy and Starbucks helped me come out of my shell.

Cons

(1) Upper-upper management - Lately it seems like they've had a shift to where they have very short-sighted goals and put a ton of pressure on store managers which then seeps down the ladder to baristas.
(2) Orny customers - Some of them will say very hurtful things and be outrageously demanding but how you handle it will speak volumes to your store manager.
(3) Physically demanding - This job isn't easy by a long shot. You have be prepared to be on the move your entire shift.
(4) Micro-managing - Some district and regional managers don't let store managers lead and they will nag about the most inane things like placement of small objects and signage.

Advice to Management

Trust your store managers. Stop taking foolish risks like LaBoulange and GLS and Playbook. Let your stores flourish on their own.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Team experience

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If your team is good, the job is quick paced, but fairly easy. Starbucks does provide a good compensation package considering that it is essentially an unskilled labor/customer service job for most of the partners. With an average or better manager, it can be a great flexible job while in school. While I was in college, I never worked when I didn't want to and always managed to get more hours when I had free time to pick up some more.

Cons

When the people you are working with don't care about doing their jobs properly it sucks. Unfortunately, Starbucks doesn't pay enough to retain the their top employees (at the store level, at least), so there's always some slackers kicking around. We're replaceable parts in the system. Even though the benefits are nice, it's definitely not a long-term job unless you get into management.

2. Amazing place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

benefits at full time, flexible schedule, great team

Cons

sometimes low morale, slightly drama filled, rude customers