There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks

Love the Company

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Calabasas, CA
Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Calabasas, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are fantastic, the culture is amazing. Working in a store can be great depending on the staff. I've had both great and horrible experiences working in a store.
The good managers are usually very supportive of you and your time with the company so long as you're a positive addition to the team.
There's a big feeling of your store being your team. Almost like a second family.
The DM, Manager, and company overall are usually very invested in their staff, especially ones that want upward momentum.

Cons

Working holidays, nights, weekends can get frustrating ( but seriously, that's what the job entails so it's not that bad).
I really don't have much else "bad" to say about the company.

While I loved working for the company for the 5 years i was there, I thought some hiring decisions were questionable. While it wasn't my place to make those kinds of decision, I saw managers and assistant managers that were simply incapable of doing the work, let alone doing the work well. In addition, I feel there needs to be more interaction between the DM's and staff. Otherwise, I loved the direction the company went in during my time there, even throughout hard times they were there for the staff countrywide (we still got out stocks, benefits, etc throughout the recession), and I always felt supported by everyone from the little fish to the Howard Schultz himself.

reviews filtered by
  1. "Very demanding job, minimal recognition"

Former Employee - Barista in Fullerton, CA
    Former Employee - Barista in Fullerton, CA

I worked at Starbucks part-time (more than a year)

Pros

- You get to work with some great and fun co-workers
    - Shifts generally go by very quickly because you are constantly moving
    - Tips (though very minimal)
    - You are trained very extensively and learn a lot about coffee and other products
    - Pretty stable hours, not a ton of fluctuation
    - Free drinks when working
    - Weekly mark-outs

Cons

- Low pay with very small raises, especially for what was expected of you.
    - Extremely tiring depending on where you are stationed, personally I was generally on bar for my entire shifts so I didn't really have time to not be moving.
    - Constantly changing standards and routines. (Playbook was a nightmare and not suitable for a store as busy as the one that I worked at).
    - Customers. This is not Starbucks' fault, but the majority of the customers that I encountered were rude and condescending. It was very difficult to try and please many of them.
    - We were expected to do far too much work with not enough employees in a very small time frame
    - Understaffed.
    - Happy hour is anything but happy.
    - I had been with the company for over a year and a half and was doing many supervisor tasks, training other employees, working overtime, however I was never considered for promotion.
    - Extremely corporate, no room for creative expression.

- Pay your employees more, this company can afford to pay more than barely above minimum wage. Your employees work extremely hard and are expected to do so much. They need to be treated better.
    - Stop letting corporate employees who have never worked in a barista position come up with "better behind bar routines". They have never been in that position and do not realize the reasons why those new methods make things more difficult.
    - Promote more corporate/district/regional managers from within. They should have barista experience and a good chunk of them do not. It is hard for the employees to take them seriously when they know that they have never worked in the stores or even been behind a bar. Plus, you need to reward baristas who have been loyal and hard working.
    - Let your employees display more creativity. Many of the customers have tattoos and colored hair or a more "alternative style", you should let your employees do the same.

2. Get me out of here!

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits for part-time employees (20+ hours/week).

Cons

It's a very attractive job on the surface but it gets old really fast. If you have a good manager, life is good. If you have one who has been promoted beyond their competency or is vindictive, your life is going to suck, they will make sure of that. Benefits for 20+ hours is great... when you can get the hours. Some managers and supervisors are just on constant power trips. The company makes every pretense of caring but even after multiple calls to Ethics and Partner Services, you won't see anything change.

Loosen the reins, there is way too much micromanaging. And make sure that the higher ups are actually qualified. Also, make it a possibility to move into corporate from retail.

There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks