There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks

Love the Company

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Calabasas, CA
Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Calabasas, CA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are fantastic, the culture is amazing. Working in a store can be great depending on the staff. I've had both great and horrible experiences working in a store.
The good managers are usually very supportive of you and your time with the company so long as you're a positive addition to the team.
There's a big feeling of your store being your team. Almost like a second family.
The DM, Manager, and company overall are usually very invested in their staff, especially ones that want upward momentum.

Cons

Working holidays, nights, weekends can get frustrating ( but seriously, that's what the job entails so it's not that bad).
I really don't have much else "bad" to say about the company.

While I loved working for the company for the 5 years i was there, I thought some hiring decisions were questionable. While it wasn't my place to make those kinds of decision, I saw managers and assistant managers that were simply incapable of doing the work, let alone doing the work well. In addition, I feel there needs to be more interaction between the DM's and staff. Otherwise, I loved the direction the company went in during my time there, even throughout hard times they were there for the staff countrywide (we still got out stocks, benefits, etc throughout the recession), and I always felt supported by everyone from the little fish to the Howard Schultz himself.

4806 Other Employee Reviews for Starbucks (View Most Recent)

"Great opportunity for students looking for flexibility or a first time job".

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

From personal experience, I've been at Barista/Shift Supervisor at Starbuck's 8 years. Fun first-time job for students looking for flexibility. You're able to develop your network and build your customer loyalty with the regular's (repeat purchasers). Good, not great benefits (should offer more benefits to students). Stock options made my hard-work pay off after the first 4 yrs. (free money). The company has moved to RSU options so different system now/no longer options. I work for my customer's rather than management. Overall love-hate relationship with this company and the management.

Free 1 lb. of coffee a week was the best!

Cons

Could seem management doesn't care. False expressions and expectations from higher-ups. A lot of politics throughout this company, especially at the corporate level. Long hours on your feet/no days off (not even holidays)/hardly able to find anyone to cover your shift when sick or unable to come in/get in trouble for the stupidest reasons (feels like middle-school). Not enough $ or expectations from management and/or staff.

Pay your employee's more after their reviews, a 10-20 cent raise doesn't pay the bills at the end of the day. Offer more corporate opportunities for advancement to employee's with degrees instead of hiring from the outside (your employee's actually know the business well). Actually pretend to care about your employee's, their jobs aren't easy. Being a Barista/Supervisor/ASM or Manager can be very stressful and it can lead to a high turnover with this company, I've witnessed employees and managers leave after 10+ years.

Inconsistent Values

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They like to promote from within; as long as you work hard and follow all standards and procedures (which seem to be adjusted on a monthly basis).

Cons

There aren't enough hours in the day to complete every task assigned/expected of the baristas and shift supervisors. The standards that corporate looks for each store to uphold and the amount of labor they allow each store to have is completely out of whack.

There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks