There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks

Fun place to work at but not a lot of opportunity to grow in the company outside of Seattle.

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Newport News, VA
Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy working for Starbucks as a barista. I started at Starbucks since I was going to school full-time. The company has great benefits! You also get to enjoy a nice perk of receiving a free pound of coffee or tea each week. I have worked at four different stores and it has always been a great atmosphere and experience from management to the baristas.

Cons

Wages start at minimum wage plus tips. For a high-end coffee shop you would think it would be a bit higher in pay. People are easily paying $4 to $6 for a drink and easily walk out paying $10 to $20 for their coffee and food. Its not McDonald's you know.

Advice to Management

I just finished my degree and live on the East coast. It would be nice to have opportunities in the company other than Seattle. Outside of Seattle there aren't may job choices accept for barista, shift manager, assistant manager and store manager.

Also, why create an atmosphere for the customers to receive their drinks in lightning speed. There is a lot of push on the baristas to make the drinks so fast that the customers expect it and then when they don't receive it, they complain. What ever happened to just doing it in a timely manner. Our society demands "instant satisfaction" so much that nobody takes the time to just be patient. When management/customers push baristas to make these hand-crafted beverages at warp speed, customers are not going to receive a quality drink. For example, because of this"pressure", I have often seen most baristas make a macchiato like a cappuccino.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great job for a temporary position

Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Rochester, NY

I worked at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company provides great benefits for employees from large discounts on products and merchandise, 401K savings, discount on company stock, and lastly provides college credit and scholarships.

Cons

Management sets unrealistic expectations for employees, customer base is unappreciative to Barista workers, and very difficult to move up.

Advice to Management

Management should consider providing culture sensitivity training for aspiring shift supervisors and managers. Also include more team building exercises to eliminate potential conflicts.

2. Good and Bad at the same time.

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meet all new kinds of people
    make your own drinks
    discounts on products
    great college or hs job for making extra cash

Cons

Have to be flexible with scheduling
    long shifts including splits
    can get hectic at times during rushes

Advice to Management

Train better