Starbucks

www.starbucks.com
There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks

Great people, but disconnected middle management

Former Employee - Store Designer in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Store Designer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Starbucks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, overall ethical company, free coffee

Cons

very top heavy in management; company 'manages up' in that they dont engage those who do the actual work and ask them what they need to do their jobs, lack of resources to do day to day job, lack of transparency in management, no clear direction or overall vision for the company, management by fear doesnt allow for employees to speak their voice, does not empower individual employees, very little room to move up in company, many director levels and above have such huge egos that this really effects the day to day business, pay isnt competitive in Seattle

You need to re-evaluate the amount of director/vp heads you have and re-allocate those resources to those doing the actual work. Put qualified people in positions of leadership. Develop a stronger corporate culture and establish ways of doing business (look to Amazon on this one), compensate employees better (Starbucks is at the bottom of compensation for companies in Seattle). Have better HR department (issues of sexual harassment went un-resolved do to upper management not wanting to admit they made bad hiring decisions).

5310 Other Employee Reviews for Starbucks (View Most Recent)

Great Benefits long hours

Current Employee - Starbucks Store Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Starbucks Store Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company has great benefits. Employees can choose to work a minimum of 20 hours per week to get the same benefits as a employee working 40 hours a week. Also, employees can have unlimited beverages and a free pound of coffee a week. Compensation depends on tenure and could be better.

Cons

Long hours and pressure to constantly meet changing goals. No clear concise goals because they change every promotion.

Really great customers and great staff...total disconnect between manager, DM, RM and their baristas.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Starbucks

Pros

The training is fun, the staff was really helpful and I love the customers!

Cons

As a shift supervisor you are basically an assistant manager without the pay. You train and hold baristas accountable as well as do inventories, receive product and conduct counts. You are never allowed to work even a minute of overtime and if you want a full time schedule you must be willing to deviate from your home store and drive to other locations at sometimes a days notice. I also work in a city and there is no parking, so I have to pay. I pay 8-12$ per say depending on the parking lot and With the wage I have it pretty much cancels out a whole day of work.

Pay the people who actually run your business the correct amount. The first raise is around .20 cents and is frankly insulting. Have conversations with your baristas and shift managers as to how to improve the store instead of just throwing out numbers to work on, allow us time to train and be trained on how to improve these action items.

There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks