There are newer employer reviews for Starbucks

Hired, not trained, but very nice

Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Gilbert, AZ
Current Employee - Barista - Starbucks in Gilbert, AZ

I have been working at Starbucks part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy shifts to get covered flexible work times tips

Cons

No room for growth Constant changes

Advice to Management

N/A

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. starbucks

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Palm Harbor, FL
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Palm Harbor, FL

I worked at Starbucks part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

company, values, partners, fun and great customers

Cons

poor store level management, no checks and balances for store management, no focus on business and sales goals, your success relies 100% on the competency of the store manager who spends the majority of her schedules hours attending to boyfriend issues not business

Advice to Management

hire people with worth ethics and integrity who attend their scheduled shifts. Professionalism over personal drama and hire managers the refrain from stealing tips from the hourly paid partners, that's what their bonuses are for.

If you want to work harder than you've ever worked, with little compensation, Starbucks is the place for you.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Starbucks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free coffee, SOME people are great, provides a fantastic learning experience for business management, provides a great work ethic.

Cons

I'm a store manager. I worked my way up through the company over the last 7 years. Starbucks simply has unrealistic and sometimes impossible expectations at all levels of employment. As a store manager I work about 50-60 hours a week in store with an additional 5 hours of administrative work at home. I have to send three reports a week and I am expected to work my all of my store's most profitable days. I also have to post a schedule on Tuesday. Therefore I can only take Thursday and Sunday off, if I strictly followed those rules, which doesn't lead to a healthy work life balance. The compensation is dismal. Starting at $42,000 with low opportunity for bonus in most stores. The hourly wage breaks down to less $15 an hour, which for upper management is pathetic. It's especially disheartening when you consider the fact the my store's annual profit is a cool million and growing. It's not bad when you get some really great people in roles below you, however you can't expect them to stay forever because as they get older and wiser they realize it's not fiscally sensible to stay with Starbucks long term. I used to love this company. I thought management would lend me the authority and the autonomy to run a great business. Instead I find myself being micromanaged and reprimanded for not achieving the impossible. The red tape through corporate when it comes to employee management leaves me with next to no authority in reality, while I have to struggle with maintaining the illusion that I could fire someone for simply not working hard or fast enough. I hate going to work everyday and I am consistently searching for employment elsewhere, which is so sad considering how well I know the business of Starbucks.

Advice to Management

I'd like to see more labor given, more administrative time given to store managers, and higher wages across the board at the store level. Starbucks will continue to grow until hitting the glass ceiling with their unhappy employees. Look at the signs! 70% store manager turn over in one district in one year has GOT to get someone's attention. Please help us!