There are newer employer reviews for Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Overall good but room for improvement

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Pros

I worked for Starwood for 10 years. Started off as a guest service manager and held various roles including Director of Housekeeping, Director of Front Office, Director of Guest Services. Had many opportuinites to advance in my 10 years which is why I stated so long. Learned alot and met alot of people along the way who helped me advance my career.

Cons

When you get promoted in Starwood, they don't take care of you financially. I have been promoted to positions and at times was paid over $20K less than my predecessor which never made much sense to me. I understand that salary is based on experience but in some cases it was robbery. They always stuck to "we don't give more than a XX% increase". It was just a way to save money. I always took the positions though as I worked hard and moved up quickly, faster than I would If I jumped companies at the time. I ultimately left as I hit a point where I couldn't advance anymore. They always said, "we promote from within" or "preference is always to those who work for the company/brand" but I found that get to the next level (Director of Rooms/Operations), they only wanted people with prior experience despite telling me I was ready (I was considered "high-potential") and ultimately proved that I was better than the ones they gave certain positions to.

Advice to Management

Starwood has lost A LOT of good people over the past few years, atleast in the NYC market and they should try to find a better way of retaining them. Don't screw those financially that are promoted from within. Don't lose sight of your "high-potential" managers. Have senior level managers spend some time with managers of all levels, not just General Managers. They'll probably be interested in what they would find.

reviews filtered by
  1. Interesting, egalitarian corporate culture.

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in White Plains, NY

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Pros

Very open, non-pressured corporate culture. Celebrates diversity among it's employees. Well run, with high ethical standards. Motivated, self-propelled workforce. Salaries and overall compensation at or above industry standards.

Cons

Perhaps a bit top-heavy in the VP/Sr. VP department. But people are promoted on merit and for their smarts and contributions.

Advice to Management

Hire your good contractors! You've got some wonderful people working with you. Take the time to discover their abilities and bring them on board.

I loved the hotels a guest, not as an employee

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Pros

Discount for all Starwood properties around the world - Wonderful!

Cons

There was a lot of questionable things going on. Especially the overnight shift. Management showed too much favoritism...

Advice to Management

Treat all workers with more respect. The workers are the ones who have the most interactions with the guest so ask for more of their feedback and implement their suggestions. Senior management should not depend on department managers for feedback. Department managers should be reviewed quarterly by their employees.