Starwood Hotels & Resorts

www.starwoodhotels.com

Overall good but room for improvement

Director (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsI worked for Starwood for 10 years. Started off as a guest service manager and held various roles including Director of Housekeeping, Director of Front Office, Director of Guest Services. Had many opportuinites to advance in my 10 years which is why I stated so long. Learned alot and met alot of people along the way who helped me advance my career.

ConsWhen you get promoted in Starwood, they don't take care of you financially. I have been promoted to positions and at times was paid over $20K less than my predecessor which never made much sense to me. I understand that salary is based on experience but in some cases it was robbery. They always stuck to "we don't give more than a XX% increase". It was just a way to save money. I always took the positions though as I worked hard and moved up quickly, faster than I would If I jumped companies at the time. I ultimately left as I hit a point where I couldn't advance anymore. They always said, "we promote from within" or "preference is always to those who work for the company/brand" but I found that get to the next level (Director of Rooms/Operations), they only wanted people with prior experience despite telling me I was ready (I was considered "high-potential") and ultimately proved that I was better than the ones they gave certain positions to.

Advice to Senior ManagementStarwood has lost A LOT of good people over the past few years, atleast in the NYC market and they should try to find a better way of retaining them. Don't screw those financially that are promoted from within. Don't lose sight of your "high-potential" managers. Have senior level managers spend some time with managers of all levels, not just General Managers. They'll probably be interested in what they would find.

I loved the hotels a guest, not as an employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Pros: Discount for all Starwood properties around the world - Wonderful! Cons: There was a lot of questionable things going on. Especially… Advice to Senior Management: Treat all workers with more respect. The workers are the ones who have the most interactions with the guest so ask for more of… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Good place to work

Bartender (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Pros: Senior Management was very competent and the hotel staff were… Cons: Direct management did not appear to be concerned about employees beyond the… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

Worked for Starwood Hotels & Resorts? Contribute to the Community!