Enriching

Current Employee - Analyst in Stamford, CT
Current Employee - Analyst in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is in the Upper, Up Scale segment. We have fabulous properties around the world to provide solutions for our customers. You have the ability to travel and can experience many different career goals, if desired, both domestically and internationally. We are able to provide experiences to our customers like no company in our industry. Great work environment. Colleagues that are engaged and happy to be here.

Cons

At times, change happens and it is not always positive. Opportunities to learn from others is not always available.

Advice to Management

listen to employees and drive change that affects everyone

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Most understaffed, stressful, overworked and under appreciated department!

Current Employee - Guest Services Agent in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Guest Services Agent in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hotel location, room discounts and coworkers

Cons

department overloaded with duties, understaffed, and very, very under appreciated and under paid. Along with your w-2 human resources actually handed every employee a special form stating we were so under paid that we might all be eligible for food assistance or rent assistance from the governement. The audacity!

Advice to Management

Not only to management but to corporate and gm, department very under appreciated and overlooked although almost daily were told we were the heart of the hotel! Are you kidding the heart of the hotel? Yet treated like the bum of the hotel!

Concierge in Paradise

Former Employee - Concierge Specialist in Kaanapali Landing, HI
    Former Employee - Concierge Specialist in Kaanapali Landing, HI

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful to assist visitors with activities, directions, dinner reservations and share my stories about the island, and get good feedback about recommendations given. The training program is centered on selling timeshare pitches to the guests. You must already know how to be a concierge. Training is intense and well-organized. Computer skills are a must.

Cons

You must swallow the kool-aid and believe that time-share ownership is the best thing since sliced bread. You must be able to accept rejection, you must be able to accept that management will change the rules and the pricing structure to benefit the corporation to meet their sales figures regularly despite what you think is fair. You must be able to handle the stress of not making your sales figures. You must be able to realize some things are out of your control. (The guests ability to choose differently or say no, cancel appointments or not show up) all of which affect your numbers. This is a high employee-turnover position. You must be able to be positive at all times despite personal stress or hardships. Your goals may be related to sales figures which has nothing to do with you getting people into the presentation. You will have no control over who buys and does not buy, yet your commission and future employment rests on it.

Advice to Management

Don't work so hard you make yourself sick, or neglect your family. Its not all for money. There is no glory in what you do. There are only free or reduced price hotel rooms, a shorter vacation than you'd like, and more pressured sales goals when you return.