Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Advancement to a point

Former Employee - Housekeeping Supervisor  in  Scottsdale, AZ
Former Employee - Housekeeping Supervisor in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Large number of properties to transfer to for growth
-Competitive wages for hourly
-Great benefits, ***401K program is great, so take advantage as not all employers offer matching
-Advancement and development is offered and encouraged from starting position to supervisory level

Cons

-To transition into management is very rare. When management positions become available, it is oftentimes outside hires that are chosen rather than exceptional talent that is already present at the time. I saw this happen 3 times in 2 different departments at my property. 2 of those times, the outside hire didn't last more than 3 months.

The company has great development programs & tools to further the advancement of budding associates, however is rather over-promising and under-delivering when it comes to actually putting that mantra into action.

650 Other Employee Reviews for Starwood Hotels & Resorts (View Most Recent)

Great company

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There are a lot of opportunities as this is a worldwide company. Great discounts on hotel rooms as well. There are 9 brands and therefore cater to different personalities.

Cons

Sometimes processes are not well thought out when they are cascaded down to the properties from corporate. Sometimes feels there is a disconnect because they are not aware of operations on property level and some of the changes they implement sometimes do not make sense.

Have a better understanding of what happens on the property level in all functional areas before making changes. Sometimes we are caught up in just processes and we don't get the chance to connect with the people which should've our primary focus.

Great management. Worthwhile opportunity.

Current Employee - Sales  in  Myrtle Beach, SC
    Current Employee - Sales in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good balance between family and work life. Opportunity to earn good living.

Cons

It's still timeshare. Sales override policies.

Stick to the corporate culture of doing the right thing at all times not when it is convenient. Go back to culture of employee & associate team building events. Build more trust from Director level position to associates. Trust your senior managers, they are your boots on the ground and know how to motivate, lead and direct associates to consistent success.

There are newer employer reviews for Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Worked for Starwood Hotels & Resorts? Contribute to the Community!