Starwood Hotels & Resorts

There are newer employer reviews for Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Terrible Place to Work

Former Employee - Director in Orlando, FL
Former Employee - Director in Orlando, FL

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Walt Disney World partner park ticket

Cons

Unrealistic expectations set forth by upper management. Upper management's style of leadership is to motivate by job threats. I have been working in fear of losing my job if I don't meet the unrealistic expectations. Terrible medical benefits! For a high profiting company they could do much better. Hopefully you have a good savings account so you can pay for medical bills if you get sick.

Look at the positive in your director's work ethics. Listen to what they say when they show you that the expectations are unrealistic.

747 Other Employee Reviews for Starwood Hotels & Resorts (View Most Recent)

Advancement to a point

Former Employee - Housekeeping Supervisor in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Housekeeping Supervisor in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Large number of properties to transfer to for growth
    -Competitive wages for hourly
    -Great benefits, ***401K program is great, so take advantage as not all employers offer matching
    -Advancement and development is offered and encouraged from starting position to supervisory level

Cons

-To transition into management is very rare. When management positions become available, it is oftentimes outside hires that are chosen rather than exceptional talent that is already present at the time. I saw this happen 3 times in 2 different departments at my property. 2 of those times, the outside hire didn't last more than 3 months.

The company has great development programs & tools to further the advancement of budding associates, however is rather over-promising and under-delivering when it comes to actually putting that mantra into action.

Great company

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are a lot of opportunities as this is a worldwide company. Great discounts on hotel rooms as well. There are 9 brands and therefore cater to different personalities.

Cons

Sometimes processes are not well thought out when they are cascaded down to the properties from corporate. Sometimes feels there is a disconnect because they are not aware of operations on property level and some of the changes they implement sometimes do not make sense.

Have a better understanding of what happens on the property level in all functional areas before making changes. Sometimes we are caught up in just processes and we don't get the chance to connect with the people which should've our primary focus.

There are newer employer reviews for Starwood Hotels & Resorts