Starwood Hotels & Resorts

www.starwoodhotels.com
  www.starwoodhotels.com
There are newer employer reviews for Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Internship was Good opportunity to get foot in the door with Starwood - quality was average

Former Employee - Food and Beverage Externship in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Food and Beverage Externship in Houston, TX

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Pros

Great Management- really cared about the employees

Cons

Lack of organizations - needed more of a challenge, but glad i was given a little project to do as well.

A 2-week internship doesn't do much to teach us if it is not better organized (too general)

692 Other Employee Reviews for Starwood Hotels & Resorts (View Most Recent)

Good, when the economy is good. Otherwise....beware!

Former Employee - Designer in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Designer in White Plains, NY

I worked at Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Pros

I actually really liked my time at Starwood. The vibe is very relaxed, fun parties, cheerful co-workers and really reasonable deadlines (most of the time). I enjoy the hospitality industry as a whole and wish I still worked in it. It sounds like a cliche, but the best part was honestly the people. They made it fun to work in the corporate office in White Plains. Before the economy tanked, they really did put in an effort for training and advancement opps.

Cons

One thing that drove me crazy was the constant cycle of hiring, and the firing. During boom times, departments would grow way too fast, and then once the economy dropped, they had to get rid of really great people. There also seemed to be randomness to the layoffs. People who were well liked and talented were let go, while people with incompetent people with serious issues were allowed to stay and lead the staff that remained. And maybe the food is not the best, but it is cheap and convenient.

Rather than expand so rapidly, focus on the people you do have. There is a lot of wastage in terms of talent, but also certain lazy employees are endlessly rewarded. Figure out who is doing the work, and focus on efficiency and long-term employment, rather than the expand/collapse model you currently have. Also, don't let unpopular, unqualified people run departments, it tends to make employees really unhappy. Even a 20 min HR screen would find out who the employees liked working for.

Long hours!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Starwood Hotels & Resorts

Pros

They take good care of their employees, however with the economy they way that it is, you may not expect to be there long if the property does not bring in the big bucks. It would serve you well to make sure there has not been too much management turnover.

Cons

It would serve you well to make sure there has not been too much management turnover. They promote within but do not provide adequet training if your position is vacant when you come on board.

Get out of your office and get down to basics. Work hand in hand with your employees. Don't just tell them what is happening in the corporate end make sure they understand how it is going to affect them.

There are newer employer reviews for Starwood Hotels & Resorts