State Compensation Insurance Fund

What a job!

Current Contractor - Senior IT Engineer in Pleasanton, CA
Current Contractor - Senior IT Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at State Compensation Insurance Fund as a contractor

Pros

Business seems to want change. IT department have resources to make changes.

Cons

There is a lot of political fights going. I am tired of the loud fights running around. Never in my life had I seen such a terrible work atmosphere. The entire IT department is swarmed with contractors and managers who are igo-centric. People don't have any respect. The company is filled with products from several different vendors. They fight with every vendor.

Advice to Management

Hire people who have vision that aligns with your business.FIX your IT Management. Streamline the applications and focus on the core business. Have the employees as stakeholders so that they drive the projects rather than have them driven by contractors.

reviews filtered by
  1. Stable job in the government sector...

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Vacaville, CA
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Vacaville, CA

I have been working at State Compensation Insurance Fund full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Stability is the key here for work in a government job. Provide training for jobs that you need training in. Current Management tries to understand where you are at. Beginning part of my career was better when HQ was in San Francisco. They are fair for paying for your relocations and travel costs.

Cons

Lot of typical workers who are cruising by punching the clock and put a "I dont know" hat on. Long time workers are not interested in change. Had some downsizing moves that were questionable that were tough on morale. Current management is recovering from a CIO transition.

Advice to Management

Listen to workers and have a personal interest in what they are doing.

2. Turmoil - Bound to repeat history

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vacaville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vacaville, CA

I have been working at State Compensation Insurance Fund full-time

Pros

IT Upper Management could be promising. But, overwhelmed by rules, oversight, scope, & incompetence may be their Achilles' tendon. Gotta wish them luck. Unfortunately, they really seem to be falling into some of the same pitfalls as the previous IT upper Management.

Cons

A lack of continuity has stripped SCIF of its corporate identity. Management longevity is less than desirable. I've had toilet paper last longer than some IT management contracts. I hope the new CIO really has skin in the game. Many of us in IT back her. But I'm still unsure of her boss. His last CIO continues to leave a bad taste in our mouths.

Advice to Management

You've lost a bunch of the subject matter experts in much of our infrastructure & business line. You better listen to what you have left! Otherwise, your failures & unkept promises will continue to haunt you!