State Farm

www.statefarm.com
  www.statefarm.com
There are newer employer reviews for State Farm

Wonderful company, employee/family oriented (I was in the Claims Dept)

Former Employee - Claims Service Representative in Sacramento, CA
Former Employee - Claims Service Representative in Sacramento, CA

I worked at State Farm full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Competetive salary
Glass Ceiling (before it was required)

Cons

Claims offices are not always convenient
Unable to work from home

Work from home

1808 Other Employee Reviews for State Farm (View Most Recent)

Technical Analyst at State Farm Insurance

Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Bloomington, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Bloomington, IL

I worked at State Farm full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits and pay are very good. Still have retirement as well as a 401k insurance you have to pay for which is the norm anymore. Work environment is good as well as other employees were great to work with.

Cons

Attending countless meetings that are not required. Prioritizing of high priority work is not done in a structured fashion. Also missing insight into the direction of the company as a whole and how to better server the agents from an IT perspective misses the mark.

stepping stone to a better place....

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Kernersville, NC
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Kernersville, NC

I have been working at State Farm full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great brand recognition. Solid claims service. Very willing to pay claims and pay them quickly. Lots of long-time customers who are emotionally attached to their policies and not shopping every renewal.

Cons

Agents are considered "independent contractors" with no benefits but are treated like "employees." The days of working hard for 10 to 15 years building a book of business then relaxing and enjoying the fruits of your labor are gone. You are forced to sell a certain amount of life products each year to get perks like free internet leads and such. However, the rates on our life products are "extremely" uncompetitive. The only way I'm getting a life policy issued is if my client isn't shopping. When cliets are changing cars or buying a new car we don't have the ability to accurately tell them what their premium will be. When we call the support office to get help they aren't able to help because they aren't licensed agents. Therefore the company won't let them "quote." As agents we have no control, no sayso, no power, no influence. And don't bother calling an underwriter for an "exception" or for a little "grace" for ANYONE because it wont' happen. The "system" makes all the decisions.

Drop CRI, SF Bank, SF Mutual Funds, and Assurant. Get back to the basics of what made this company great by focusing on auto/fire. Maybe after we gain back market share on those lines we can lower the rates on our life products so we can be remotely competitive.

There are newer employer reviews for State Farm