State Farm

www.statefarm.com
  www.statefarm.com
There are newer employer reviews for State Farm

stepping stone to a better place....

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Kernersville, NC
Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Kernersville, NC

I have been working at State Farm full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great brand recognition. Solid claims service. Very willing to pay claims and pay them quickly. Lots of long-time customers who are emotionally attached to their policies and not shopping every renewal.

Cons

Agents are considered "independent contractors" with no benefits but are treated like "employees." The days of working hard for 10 to 15 years building a book of business then relaxing and enjoying the fruits of your labor are gone. You are forced to sell a certain amount of life products each year to get perks like free internet leads and such. However, the rates on our life products are "extremely" uncompetitive. The only way I'm getting a life policy issued is if my client isn't shopping. When cliets are changing cars or buying a new car we don't have the ability to accurately tell them what their premium will be. When we call the support office to get help they aren't able to help because they aren't licensed agents. Therefore the company won't let them "quote." As agents we have no control, no sayso, no power, no influence. And don't bother calling an underwriter for an "exception" or for a little "grace" for ANYONE because it wont' happen. The "system" makes all the decisions.

Drop CRI, SF Bank, SF Mutual Funds, and Assurant. Get back to the basics of what made this company great by focusing on auto/fire. Maybe after we gain back market share on those lines we can lower the rates on our life products so we can be remotely competitive.

1799 Other Employee Reviews for State Farm (View Most Recent)

Awesome

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at State Farm part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is a beautiful place to work. Very comfortable feel to it. Great people that are very nice and easy to get along with.

Cons

I am only in training, but so far everything has been excellent. Training is a little dull

Too many changes

Former Employee - Office Representative in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Office Representative in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at State Farm full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is pretty good and benefits are great.

Cons

Way too focused on sales and not about the customers these days. Good if you are an up and comer who's good with and enjoys the hard sell.

Bring back some of the old-school "customer satisfaction is the most important thing" mentality.

There are newer employer reviews for State Farm