Employers never satisfied, pay much lower than market rates

Current Employee - Zone Underwriting Analyst  in  Duluth, GA
Current Employee - Zone Underwriting Analyst in Duluth, GA

I have been working at State Farm full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Management tells us our skill sets are valuable and we can find work elsewhere

Cons

Praise from management is meaningless with salaries 20K below market rate for professional jobs.
Ingenuity is not recognized or appreciated; too conservative. Doing something in a new way is discouraged.
Geniuses are "shut down" because Executives do not take the time to understand or ask questions.

Pay your employees like you actually want to keep them with the company.

Other Reviews for State Farm

Internship Review

Former Employee - Clerical Intern  in  Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Clerical Intern in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at State Farm as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Friendly people, very nice place to work at. The agents there were all kind to me, and answered my questions whenever I had one about their job.

Cons

Ended up doing menial tasks for most of the time, though this was more on my fault anyone else's. Could've taken initiative more to take on more and more difficult tasks.

Really work with interns more and try to challenge them. If they don't meet your expectations, then give them something easier, but most interns should have strong abilities to achieve more than what you originally thing.

DO NOT work in claims for the long term! If you do, you likely will be very unhappy.

Current Employee - Auto Claim Representative  in  Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Auto Claim Representative in Columbia, MO

I have been working at State Farm full-time

Pros

SF has a great training program. They're very in depth in the training, & educate you in many facets of the insurance industry. During & after the training program, you will meet good people. Most people I work with are genuinely nice. Having positive & well liked people makes a stressful claims environment more tolerable.
    -State Farm is a mutual company so it feels good not answering to shareholders.
    -Food days, recognition of birthdays, holidays gifts/food.

Cons

The claims department is a very negative environment. This is caused by the angry insureds or claimants refuting a decision or handling on a claim. Often, even if you make the right decision in a claim, the person on the other side of the phone will be unreasonable, causing you to have a miserable day. These negative interactions with customers then causes a "snowball effect" throughout the entire department. Getting beat up verbally day in & day out takes it's toll on your overall contentment in life, no matter who you are. Once you get beat up by a customer, you then get micromanaged for everything you do while you're on the clock. You have a meeting with a manager every month, & it feels the manager's sole job is to find fault in your work. The managers start out the meeting with one or two positive comments only to prepare you for the punches they throw at you. The rest of the meeting is followed up by what you did wrong. For the 1st year, I thought the feedback was to help me perform better at my job (which some did) but you later discover their feedback is not very consistent & generally condescending. It's toxic, & every tenured coworker agrees. There's a group called Work Force Management enforced, & they monitor what you do every minute in the work day. That includes monitoring, to the second, on how long you're in the restroom. Autonomy is minimal here. It's also challenging to move to other departments. You either have to campaign yourself to the managers, be the son/daughter of someone high up, or have the CPCU to move up the ladder. A combination of playing politics, nepotism, hard work, & insurance designations will likely get you on the fast track. If you're not, there may be a glass ceiling for you, & it's likely in the position you're already in. After the wonderful training program they have here, it's really all down hill. You only use a fraction of what you learned in training on the work floor. The job will get repetitious after a year, then you'll seek an exit. My advice is learn what you can, try to enjoy the ride, & get out before 3 years if you haven't been promoted. If you stay longer than 3 years, you then should compare yourself to "cattle".

There are too many levels of management, & they all seem to want to keep their distance as if they're too good for us. They really do act like they nestle in high ivory towers. After me, there's a TM>SM>CM>VPO>OPV>EVP>COO>CEO. If the front line manager (a TM) treats their subordinates like dirt, then in all likelihood, that mistreatment is coming from the top. Please learn from what other companies (who have been recognized nationally as great places to work), & try to enforce similar policies for your employees. You can't sustain & grow an insurance company in the long term if nearly all of your claims adjusters are dissatisfied. State Farm should still be a powerhouse in 10 years, but that will not be the case in 25 years if SF has the same policies & ideologies as today.

There are newer employer reviews for State Farm.

Worked for State Farm? Contribute to the Community!