State Farm

www.statefarm.com
  www.statefarm.com
There are newer employer reviews for State Farm

A good place to start and then advance out of

Current Employee - Underwriter in DuPont, WA
Current Employee - Underwriter in DuPont, WA

I have been working at State Farm full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, average 401k, average training, decent work hours (when staffed adequately)

Cons

Management lacks transparency, leadership is tight lipped about impending/inevitable change.

Tell us the five year plans, the ten year plans, we are a commited and dedicated workforce and want to contribute now more than ever. When you blindside us with precedural and structural changes you lose us. If you tell us during planning and before we will help, we will learn, and we will do all we can to make the model fit for us.

1808 Other Employee Reviews for State Farm (View Most Recent)

State Farm is a great place to work, and most employees are very happy.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IL

I worked at State Farm as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

State Farm treats its employees really well. They have a lot of opportunities for employees to move around within the organization. It is a very collaborative environment, and it is very common to work on projects with employees from different departments.

Cons

In order to move up in the ranks at all, you have to spend countless hours of your personal time studying for Insurance Education courses. State Farm takes the edge off by paying and sending you on a trip once you finish a big one, but it's still a lot of time invested into the insurance industry if you aren't sure you want to stay in that industry forever.

Upper management does a good job of motivating employees to work hard, but they seemed pretty distant in the little time I was there. The only time I saw the senior management anywhere was in a 90th Anniversary party where Ed Rust spoke. Other than that, it's hard to relate to them since I never saw them.

great company for a long time, but things have changed drastically

I worked at State Farm full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some nice people
    Many ways to help others

Cons

Long hours
    micromanagement
    crazy workloads at times

If an employee has draft authority and experience,, they should be respected and given some latitude. In other words, if you are paid to make decisions, you should be allowed to make them.

There are newer employer reviews for State Farm