There are newer employer reviews for State Farm

State Farm is a great place to work, and most employees are very happy.

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Bloomington, IL
Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Bloomington, IL

I worked at State Farm as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

State Farm treats its employees really well. They have a lot of opportunities for employees to move around within the organization. It is a very collaborative environment, and it is very common to work on projects with employees from different departments.

Cons

In order to move up in the ranks at all, you have to spend countless hours of your personal time studying for Insurance Education courses. State Farm takes the edge off by paying and sending you on a trip once you finish a big one, but it's still a lot of time invested into the insurance industry if you aren't sure you want to stay in that industry forever.

Advice to Management

Upper management does a good job of motivating employees to work hard, but they seemed pretty distant in the little time I was there. The only time I saw the senior management anywhere was in a 90th Anniversary party where Ed Rust spoke. Other than that, it's hard to relate to them since I never saw them.

Other Employee Reviews for State Farm

1. Great starting point to a career

Pros

gain lots of experience. Commission is great (if your in a location bigger than a small town).

Cons

Not great for small towns

No Advancement

Current Employee - Claims Representative in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Claims Representative in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Only a handful of managers are micromanagers. Others tend to leave you alone as long as you do your job.

Cons

- No advancement opportunities, especially if your a white male. Not being racist or anything, but they are presently only promoting women and minorities in an effort to diversify management. I'm not saying that I disagree, but they tend to only promote minorities in certain offices instead of having a truly diverse management sector. In my old office there were 80% female supervisors in an office that was 80% men and no minorities. In another office it was 80% men and all minorities. Its gives the appearance that they have a quota to meet rather than hiring right person. One male in our office was promoted and he was a minority, but they downsized his position and was demoted. - Not paid bonuses or higher salary at review time for exceeding expectations. - When economy tanked management took ALL employee morale benefits away.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people they are miserable now. Get rid of the dead weight managers. If you don't promote based on merit you will lose good people.