There are newer employer reviews for State Farm

Great products and room for advancement!

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Fishers, IN
Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Fishers, IN

I worked at State Farm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive salary, great training fun environment!

Cons

It takes a lo of resilience, drive and determinant to make it in insurance.

Advice to Management

Reduce the amount of agencies and boost support for agents and their comensation.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Not the greatest experience

Former Employee - AGENT STAFF - TEAM MEMBER in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - AGENT STAFF - TEAM MEMBER in Richmond, VA

I worked at State Farm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Provides good experience on resumes and provides you with a good stepping stone for you to go to better places.

Cons

Some of the agents are weird people.

Advice to Management

I was with State Farm because it gave me a decent job when I was in New York while I was completing my Bachelors in Business Management. After finishing that, I went to Richmond, VA and became an Office Manager for an agent there. They were both polar opposite experiences. The agent in NY was very organized and he was an older man who was very well educated and he believed in having family associated in the agency. On the other hand, when I went to the agent in Richmond, I was dealing with a brand new agent who didn't know what she was doing, acted as if she was so organized, but truthfully, she wasn't, and she honestly had no idea as to what she was doing and was too stuck in her own ways for her to recognize it. My advice to upper management would be to be more careful as to who you hire. Also, management needs to stop setting up agents into pure sales contracts, because the customer service at these agencies is going to suffer for it.

2. Wish salary was higher

Current Employee - Auto Claim Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Auto Claim Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is incredible. The TMs I've worked for are great at supporting your decisions and encouraging advancement. Most everyone their seems to be genuinely nice people and truly act as a team. Training is great and extremely thought out to help new hires succeed. Paid continued education is an awesome perk! Great benefits, pension, 401k, health, dental, vision, life, etc.

Cons

Lack in technology! Seems like it takes 10 years to make a change to catch up to the rest of the world and it hurts business. Seems a little political in order to move up but isn't every job kinda like that. Performance may get you noticed but not necessarily promoted. Seems that you really have to network and become popular to have a shot at a promotion, which creates a work environment that promotes social hour instead of producing a quality product. Wish they had offices in bigger cities as most claims offices are in smaller communities. Also appears that we'll be going to a true call center atmosphere by having Work Force Management dictate your every min. Breaks and lunches will be scheduled lol. This isn't Walmart. Oh and salary's need to be higher in order to deal with this lagging economy. OT is necessary just to make ends meet because salary isn't high enough.

Advice to Management

Learn to actually handle claims instead of call monitoring and worrying about how much SF is branded on the phone. Continue to let the employees have the flexibility of handling a claim based on merit. It's quality over quantity. Not work as many as you can... that only ends up creating more work. Start looking at performance over popularity.