State Farm

There are newer employer reviews for State Farm

This is a good bad job

Current Employee - Response Center Representative in Jacksonville, FL
Current Employee - Response Center Representative in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at State Farm full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy. A monkey could do it. Full time vacation and benefits are nice.

Cons

Scheduling is weird. The job itself is mind numbing and will murder your soul

1906 Other Employee Reviews for State Farm (View Most Recent)

Large Company Without the Corporate Culture

Current Employee - Customer-Care Supervisor in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer-Care Supervisor in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at State Farm full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company truly places value on its employees, so much so that it was jarring to me, since I came from a large corporation with the typical corporate politics. As a leader of front-line professionals, it was an expectation that I treat employees well, support them and their development, be visible, and provide actionable feedback. Front-line professionals were not considered grunt people; they were truly valued. For me, this is what distinguishes State Farm from other companies.

Benefits are available at the first of the month following the hire date. They are better than average, but I wouldn't consider them stellar. They offer two high-deductible plans, one of which has a health-reimbursement account. They also offer an HMO plan, depending on where the employee lives. Other benefits include savings plans and, interestingly enough, a pension plan that requires no employee contribution. Unless going for insurance education, the tuition-reimbursement plan is poor.

The company offers stellar relocation packages to employees, including front-line professionals. It is truly impressive how much invested the company is in its employees.

Cons

A common saying throughout the company is "State Farm nice." What that means is that it can be incredibly difficult to be fired from the company. As my manager stated, State Farm is a company that believes in "rehabilitation." While providing ample support to employees to help them toward success is important, making it difficult to offer even the most minor corrective action to employees only sets the employees up for failure. Many of the antics that I experience and feel powerless to address would never be tolerated at other companies with better customer service, large employee bases, and more industry acclaim.

Embrace supporting employees to success, but recognize that poor behavior and performance must be addressed in no uncertain terms. Every employee of the company should be held accountable for his/her behavior and performance.

State Farm has a great corporate culture that promotes movement and growth from within.

Current Employee - Fire Claim Trainer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Fire Claim Trainer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at State Farm full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

State Farm offers great opportunity to those who seeking a variety of roles and promotions in their career. There is a big push for continuing education, which State Farm will fund, to make you a continuous learner and more promotable for the next level in your career.

Cons

With the large amount of career advancement opportunity comes travel. Most promotions within claims require moving to another area/state for the position. It makes sense in some roles and others not as much, for example, a position that requires extensive travel, so why would it matter where you reside.

There are newer employer reviews for State Farm