There are newer employer reviews for State Farm

Large Company Without the Corporate Culture

Current Employee - Customer-Care Supervisor in Tempe, AZ
Current Employee - Customer-Care Supervisor in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at State Farm full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company truly places value on its employees, so much so that it was jarring to me, since I came from a large corporation with the typical corporate politics. As a leader of front-line professionals, it was an expectation that I treat employees well, support them and their development, be visible, and provide actionable feedback. Front-line professionals were not considered grunt people; they were truly valued. For me, this is what distinguishes State Farm from other companies.

Benefits are available at the first of the month following the hire date. They are better than average, but I wouldn't consider them stellar. They offer two high-deductible plans, one of which has a health-reimbursement account. They also offer an HMO plan, depending on where the employee lives. Other benefits include savings plans and, interestingly enough, a pension plan that requires no employee contribution. Unless going for insurance education, the tuition-reimbursement plan is poor.

The company offers stellar relocation packages to employees, including front-line professionals. It is truly impressive how much invested the company is in its employees.

Cons

A common saying throughout the company is "State Farm nice." What that means is that it can be incredibly difficult to be fired from the company. As my manager stated, State Farm is a company that believes in "rehabilitation." While providing ample support to employees to help them toward success is important, making it difficult to offer even the most minor corrective action to employees only sets the employees up for failure. Many of the antics that I experience and feel powerless to address would never be tolerated at other companies with better customer service, large employee bases, and more industry acclaim.

Embrace supporting employees to success, but recognize that poor behavior and performance must be addressed in no uncertain terms. Every employee of the company should be held accountable for his/her behavior and performance.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great company and diverse prouducts.

Former Employee - AGENT STAFF - TEAM MEMBER in Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - AGENT STAFF - TEAM MEMBER in Palm Beach, FL

I worked at State Farm full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great company and great prouduct to offer.

Cons

To much multi tasking. Need to focus on sales or service not both as it lowers productivity. Need more people in local offices to focus on The remarkable service!

2. Great Experience

Former Intern - Sales Representative
    Former Intern - Sales Representative

I worked at State Farm as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Such a great experience. Jumped right into the workforce and felt welcomed with open arms. Was a great experience as a first internship and learned a lot not only about the company but about insurance as well. Would recommend this for anyone interested in insurance, such a great company with values to match.

Cons

Could have been guided more. Was taught a lot of marketing aspects but never got the chance to utilize them to their fullest.

There are newer employer reviews for State Farm