There are newer employer reviews for State Farm

Property & Casualty Agent

I worked at State Farm full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Even though I worked for an agent and not directly for State Farm, the support is there and you can tell they care. I enjoyed most company functions and they people there.

Cons

Some of the expectations of a small, scratch agency can be a bit unrealistic. I don't think there is anything wrong with lofty goals but hitting a certain number of applications in one year for just one line of insurance shouldn't make or break your entire career.

It's great to celebrate and reward the agents when things are going good - this is not an excuse to berate them or play mind games when numbers are down.

1688 Other Employee Reviews for State Farm (View Most Recent)

Worst job ever.. but amazing pay

Current Employee - Auto Claim Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Auto Claim Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at State Farm full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is really good. Friends of mine with my college degree are making less in their jobs than I make here. Plenty of vacation time and time to take development courses.

Cons

If you aren't related to someone here, whether by blood or marriage, don't expect to EVER be promoted or moved to another department. It is very obvious when you see who gets positions over others who are far more competent. They actually encourage to date/marry within the company to get better positions, especially if you marry into management.

The hours are horrible, and you never know what shift you'll be assigned or Saturdays you'll have to work until 3 months out. If you planned a vacation 6 months ago and they schedule Saturday duty on that weekend, you better be there if you can't find someone to swap with you. It also goes back to my above statement. You won't be working holiday weekends if you're with the right person.

Stop focusing on numbers and call evaluations. I have to show every TM how to navigate our claims system and where things are in the auto policy. I shouldn't have to do this. Hire and promote people who prove themselves.

Iffy management

Current Employee - Claims Processor
    Current Employee - Claims Processor

I have been working at State Farm full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Long training process. Good benefits. Ample opportunities to take time off.

Cons

The long training process is lacking in actually preparing you to perform the job. Management is erratic with how they monitor and evaluate performance so there is no consistency of expectations.

There are newer employer reviews for State Farm