State Farm
3.5 of 5 1,287 reviews
www.statefarm.com Bloomington, IL 5000+ Employees

Great place to work and spend a career--for better or worse.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Bloomington, IL

I worked at State Farm full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSF is truly hidden gem. The environment is very friendly, welcoming, and respectful. The work/life balance is outstanding, with most employees working only 40 hour weeks. The company's old slogan, "like a good neighbor", truly epitomizes the culture and values. With the exception of food (ChickFilA, Carribou, Papa Johns, etc) on site, SF has few other amenities. Fortunately, Bloomington is small so things like gyms and day cares are within walking distance or a short drive. Family-friendly area with good schools though has a shortage of things to do and lacks culture.

ConsToo many meetings, meetings to talk about meetings, and memos... Lots and lots of memos. Unless you are in one of the few lucky departments, you will likely end up working in a sea of cubes. Most people spend entire careers here, which may result in fewer opportunities for advancement. Job security has been historically high, translating to less productive employees in some areas. Few people work here out of college unless they are married or from the area. Not much to do in Bloomington--chain restaurants abound.

I have had a great overall experience working there for many years.

Underwriter (Current Employee)

I have been working at State Farm full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Solid senior leadership has led to a very healthy and competitive organization, many jobs within one employer, lots of opportunity if… Cons: Currently jobs are transitioning to primary sites (Dallas, Phoenix, Atlanta and Bloomington,… Advice to Senior Management: Keep the focus, maintain the strong leadership position, respect the long term employees' experience and… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great leadership and positive environment

Claims Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at State Farm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Financially stable company with great co-workers Cons: Move slowly to adapt to changes in technology Advice to Senior Management: Move quicker to keep up with changes in technology marketplace… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on State Farm.

Worked for State Farm? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at State Farm reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for State Farm CEO Ed Rust Jr. All reviews posted anonymously by State Farm employees.