State Farm

www.statefarm.com

family oriented company

Current Employee - Applications Support Analyst  in  Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Applications Support Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Company is sensitive to employee needs

Cons

I have no negative feedback

none

Other reviews for State Farm

Great learning experience.

Former Employee - Life Insurance Specialist  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Life Insurance Specialist in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Fast paced environment, steep learning curve and close relationship to coworkers/agent.

Every agent is slightly different, but State Farm prides itself on being a company that really cares about educating each client to help them make informed decisions about insurance, which I respect to the utmost.

My particular agent was very flexible with schedules and helpful in the learning process.

I have heard from other people who work in corporate of State Farm that job security on that level is very high, although relocating may be necessary if you are looking for a long career within the company.

Cons

Technology always improving which can sometimes cause confusion especially when dealing with State Farm employees in other states (i.e. calling billing staff, underwriters, etc.)

Keep up the good work!

Great place to work-Hard to leave. Typical Cons of a big company.

Current Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Bloomington, IL

Pros

-State Farm corporate is a one stop shop for everything you'll need for a career. There is training, classes, professionally supported certification courses, unique opportunities that are rare in the world due to our expansive systems, and many options for future advancement. I could absolutely see changing careers three or four times all while staying within the company.
    -Benefits and pay is great overall.
    -Yearly raises, while the rest of the country struggles is amazing. (double digit %'s happen)
    -Flexible schedules for most positions make work-life balance easier. (This last year we were specifically asked to work from home two days a week)
    -The work is pretty varied, at least in the positions I've been in.
    -Culture also depends on your area, but overall is pretty good. You won't see ping pong tables here, but I personally prefer that. You will, however, be able to enjoy State Farm's amazing park and pool, and many many MANY events and clubs through the activities department. (I personally I enjoy our pistol shooting competitions)
    -Forward thinking as far as technology goes - dependent on area. Yes, we still have Assembler, COBOL, and PLI running, but we pick up newer technologies fairly quickly. We were first to the market with many mobile technologies that competitors are just now promoting.
    -Unique experiences working on huge systems that impress other companies. I know 3 people who have left for other companies and they said after being at SF their new jobs were very easy and people were very impressed with them. Two of them came back to State Farm, and one wants to.

Cons

Most cons are ones you'll see in most companies, and are more pronounced in large companies.

-If you are in a slow area, work may be boring or non-enjoyable. Usually there are solutions to this if you are a go-getter.
    -Hard to be fired! There are 'workers' who do very little and obviously skate by-sometimes even receiving raises because it's part of the culture here. I disagree with this practice and it can be somewhat demoralizing to the very hard workers. Again, this is an area thing. I was in this situation where I wasn't appreciated by my manager for the unique job I was doing, so I found a new position and couldn't be happier.
    -A Pro or Con, depending on how you look at it: You may quickly get paid higher than any other company would. Not really a problem if SF is a long term plan, but if you'd liek to leave, don't expect to make what you would here.

The biggest point on cons, is that it depends on what area you are in. SF is a huge place, so while one manager might run things one way (Micromanaging, no work flexibility, low raises) another might be completely different (Hands-off, allows work from home, generous raises). If you are here and don't like your job, it's doubtful it's the company, it's probably your specific work or manager.

SF does have employees fill out manager surveys. I would to see more happen from these to weed out the non-effective managers and keep the great ones.

There are newer employer reviews for State Farm.

Worked for State Farm? Contribute to the Community!