There are newer employer reviews for State Farm

Its good to be Intern at State Farm

Current Employee - IT/Systems Intern  in  Irving, TX
Current Employee - IT/Systems Intern in Irving, TX

I have been working at State Farm as an intern

Pros

One can learn a lot at State Farm.

Cons

Its good environment to work but not as exciting as Disney or Southwest no parties no extra activities !

NA

1595 Other Employee Reviews for State Farm (View Most Recent)

Great company

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

Great Benefits, Fortune 500 company, great opportunities for advancement

Cons

Sitting in cubicles all day. Lots of turnover. Department may be asked to relocate.

Worst training program anywhere

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Tempe, AZ

I worked at State Farm full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's a steady paycheck with benefits. The facility is brand-new, which is nice. I cannot think of anything else to say that is positive.

Cons

Since it was our job to take incoming calls regarding car insurance, I expected that we 'newbies' would be getting documentation to help us learn how to create and modify company database records.

This was not to be. In fact, I had to start asking. I asked the trainer, the supervisor, and the head of the telesales division in Tempe. One said that it was 'too expensive' to give each new person documentation during the three-month training program because the information changed so quickly that whatever information we had would be outdated by the time we graduated. I also heard that the people in the ivory tower of Bloomington had made an executive decision that training manuals were unnecessary.

State Farm has two software programs for manipulating the corporate database. One is designed for modifying current records. The other is for creating new records. The company does not have a simulator for the "new records" program, so we had to create new records on the "modifying records" simulator.

It turns out that the reason State Farm does not offer training manuals to its new telesales agents is because both software programs are very buggy and counter intuitive. oh, and did I mention, there is no documentation for the software anywhere. State Farm is the 46th biggest company in the world and has no documentation! Unbelievable!

When using the software program to create new records, I accidentally 'unencrypted' a 'customer's personal information. I brought this to the attention of the head of sales for the Tempe office. In a normal company, a call would have been put into the corporate headquarters. At State Farm, they do things a little bit differently. They blamed it on me. I wish I had those skills!

With the other software program, the menu page has 22 different subcategories. We only needed three of these to perform our jobs. The system had four different ways to go back a page, depending on where the user was the program.

Don't ask for any help from your supervisor. Hard to believe, but it's true. Half of the supervisors in the Tempe office did not even have insurance license. Legally, they cannot help you with a phone call if you get into trouble.

Even more amazing, supervisors are not trained on how navigate the buggy software. For that you have to call into customer support. By the time that you get someone to help, it just want them to fix whatever's broken so that you can get the poor customer off the phone. the supervisors only responsibility is to manage the metrics table so that he can show you where you screwed up.

I don't understand why call center agents in Illinois weren't persuaded to come to Arizona and take on a supervisors role. It also makes no sense that State Farm did not aggressively recruit inside salespeople from other insurance companies in the Phoenix area.

Upper management can start by reading the "cons" that I've mentioned above. State Farm is still the biggest car insurance company. most big companies say that there "well," is in their customers. Others say it is in their employees. Both are lying. A corporation's greatest asset is its database. There is absolutely no excuse for the way the operation in Tempe is run in terms of personnel. It is also inexcusable for those in the ivory tower of Bloomington to take 15 years and counting to migrate from the old pre-Windows system which is used to modify existing records to the new Windows-based system that is used to enter new records.

the training program that they offer is close to being a complete waste. For every three people that started the three-month training program, only two of them complete it, Without real experience using software simulators and no manuals, how valuable can of training system like that actually be?

There are newer employer reviews for State Farm

Worked for State Farm? Contribute to the Community!