There are newer employer reviews for State Farm

Great working there, but not a place I'd want to be for life.

Current Intern - Systems Analyst Intern in Bloomington, IL
Current Intern - Systems Analyst Intern in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at State Farm as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

They had fun weekly intern activities. You can easily be hired full time as long as you're competent and do your work. Pay for intern housing and your milage to drive to Bloomington. As an intern almost everyone seemed to have the right amount of work to do.

Everyone that I worked with was super nice and willing to teach me, or set me up with someone who could. Interns were given the chance to sit an talk with directors, and a lot of interns' managers were even able to set them up with their directors. This allows you to learn from people who have been in similar positions and you're able to receive their input.

The most important thing is that they are opening hubs in cities I would actually move to full time.

Cons

The largest con is that it is located in Bloomington. As a young IT person I don't really want to live in the midwest, especially if it isn't in Chicago. Phoenix, Dallas, and Atlanta all sound like good alternatives that I hope all interns returning full time have a choice to pick from.

External employees seem to be treated unfairly, in a way that is almost "racist." A lot of management would not talk to a white/American native the same way as they do many externals from India. It seems like some parts of the company want to make sure that you know that you're "less than" an internal employee if you're an external, although in other DCs of the company this isn't true at all.

The other large con is that all of my friends that had programming internships at Fortune 50 companies and some start ups get payed a lot more. It seems like as a SF intern you're paid around 1/2 to 2/3 of what a new hire might be getting, but at other companies it seems more like 2/3-3/4 of what a new hire might get.

For managers of interns: make sure that you're intern wants to stay in Bloomington if you want to keep them, now that the hubs are opening. It is safe to say that the interns who would want to stay in Bloomington are in the minority.

reviews filtered by