There are newer employer reviews for State Farm

Great stepping stone, great structure

Current Employee - Senior Account Representative in Millbrae, CA
Current Employee - Senior Account Representative in Millbrae, CA

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Keep in mind, every agency is different. I worked at Robert Fong's agency in Millbrae and he's hands down the best boss I'll ever have. He has an open door policy where he welcomes questions and concerns, but also challenges you to problem solve. He's very supportive when it comes to you hitting goals (both for the office and for the future) and always asks you if you are adequtely challenged with your responsibilities which lets you personally grow. Very much a teamwork environment where everyone helps each other and execute activities that benefit the agency as a whole. Most important: he makes sure you understand and very much agree with the agency's mission statement (which is to be the community's leader in financial services through mutual trust and personalized service). From this agency, I've learned that being a salesperson is more than just selling products and hitting numbers, but really understanding what our clients needs and goals are. He's also very understanding when it comes to taking time off. As long as you get your work done and there's coverage at the office, there's no reason as to why you can't take a month off to travel. In fact, I travelled for a year and then came back to open arms. We also have office lunch once in a while to celebrate personal events (birthdays, graduation, getting your license to sell, etc). In terms of pay, it's very reasonable. There's base and commission. There's a different schedule for different roles. State Farm as a company is also great as they offer a lot of support to open up your own agency. I haven't personally experienced the process, but a close friend of mine did. There's a 6-9 months training where you get all your licenses and familiarize yourself with every aspect of insurance. If in California, they fly you down to Irvine business class every 2 weeks I believe to do this training. State Farm also controls the amount of agencies that open up in one zip code so you're not competing too much with other State Farm agents. Most likely, you'll inherent a book of business from agents that retire so you're not starting from scratch. There's also a Sales Leader Agency Management that overseas the agents to make sure they are hitting their goals and overcoming obstacles correctly. Overall, VERY organized and very supportive. I'd open up an agency when I'm older. State Farm is the market leader in insurance and #1 Property&Casualty insurer in the US since 1964 (lol we just got these facts recently).

Cons

Not much room for career growth. You start as an intern doing busywork and then start being on the phone doing retention activities and then you can start cross-selling and eventually do full on sales. But the next big step is to open up your own State Farm agency. Because each agency is a small business, there's no 401k benefits or healthcare, but that's understandable.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

If you want it, it will happen

Current Employee - Claims Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Claims Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at State Farm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team environment. Good learning opportunities. Room to move up. Once in, plenty of different positions available. Good incentives. Good time off and vacation package (if not abused)

Cons

Claims are hectic. Stress levels are moderate to elevated. If you understand the nature of the beast, you will be fine. If not, you will suffocate. Not all schedules are flexible. Starting pay is low, but be good at what you do and that will change. Remember, mutual company, not shareholder driven.

Advice to Management

Listen to your associates. But don't immerse yourself in their lives. You are the supervisor. Be firm.

Assistant

I worked at State Farm

Pros

Great work environment, fun to work for

Cons

not enough hours, and I was paid hourly

Advice to Management

it is nice for the higher reps to not go to work everyday, but their role motivates their workers. so try to make it into the office everyday to keep the work environment in balance. My colleagues and I slacked off a lot because our boss wasn't there