State Farm

Great Employer

Current Employee - Systems Analyst - College Intern in Bloomington, IL
Current Employee - Systems Analyst - College Intern in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

Decent pay for the amount of work you have to do.
Relatively low stress.
Great work/life balance.
There is a lot of opportunity to move to any department if you're willing to go through training.
State Farm uses consultants that help get a lot of work done.

Cons

The corporate headquarters is in Bloomington, IL.

When making a career path change within the company, the training provided to prepare you for a new job isn't always the best.

The systems (computer/technical) department isn't full of the most competent minds. Part of the problem is that State Farm tries to be really accommodating for individuals seeking new career opportunities and it's common for non-technical people to move into technical jobs. Some technical jobs require a formal computer related education.

Software development is not that exciting at State Farm, it's rather mundane.

Don't purchase software that is meant to aid employees before talking to the employees who will be forced to use it.

1981 Other Employee Reviews for State Farm (View Most Recent)

Statefam slow progress, fear of decision making incompetent management

Current Employee - Systems in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Systems in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

Well I wish I could tell good things but to maintain a non biased review I have to recognize that Statefarm offers a great work physical environment located in Bloomington IL aka middle of nothing/nowhere. Although Statefarm came a long way within last few years overcoming some stiffness specific to small and medium wannabe corporate America companies, the existing middle management is way beyond what such a company would need.

Cons

They still struggle to find a way to complete the work without getting involved, without exercising any decision making UNLESS the decision making involves external contractors that usualy are the ones paying for wanting to get job done. Would I recommend this company to a young upcoming professional or to anyone as a contractor? NO. In other words if you are ready to accept becoming narrow minded, learn to avoid responsibility, grab a chair and hold it forever, cry at other incompetents' doors to getb a promotion, work in an environment governed by "let someone else do it or decide for this", work in a team to accomplish what a person shopuld be able to accomplish, work in a company that has convoluted and disconnected processes claiming a high process maturity then State Farm is for you! If on the other hand you consider yourself a change agent a team player a person with initiative someone that has integrity ... A DO-ER! then look elsewhere, run from State farm as this company will kill everything and anything you as a professional have to give. I am not saying they don't have good people, they do! but middle management is the one holding the company back with decades.

Replenish your middle tier, replace those that cannot make decisions, learn to consider contractors as change agents and SME's as you currently have people that cannot work due to your employees being scared to lose their jobs. Re-evaluate the need for teams, you currently have teams that under-perform and could be very well replaced by processes and only one custodian.
    Re-evaluate use of project management in the company and move to a projectized structure, currently you are a functional one. Build and maintain a PMO, you'd be surprised by the benefits a PMO can bring to a company this size. I have so many things I could recommend although I believ no one would listen.

Good place but getting worse for those who don't want to climb the ladder

Former Employee - Claim Representative in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Claim Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at State Farm

Pros

- Very nice people work there
    - OK salary
    - Very good work/life balance
    - Good job security (as long as you don't mess up in a big way, it is unlikely you will lose your job)

Cons

- Claim process is becoming automated, which makes claim adjusting boring and repetitive for employees
    - When I left the company, they were only hiring people with foreign language skills, so opportunities for people who only speak English was limited
    - Lazy front-line managers (claim representatives work harder than their managers, which leads to resentment)

Get rid of the dead weight in management and get the remaining managers to work harder. This will boost morale among the front line employees.

There are newer employer reviews for State Farm