State Farm

www.statefarm.com
  www.statefarm.com
There are newer employer reviews for State Farm

Don't get sucked into State Farm by the salary during training.

Current Employee - Agency Intern in Murfreesboro, TN
Current Employee - Agency Intern in Murfreesboro, TN

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

State Farm is willing to invest in their employees by paying a salary to interns in training to become an agents. This is not common in the the insurance industry. They put you through very good training during that time. As an insurance company it is a very solid, stable and conservative company.

Cons

They treat agency interns brutally.They are very unforgiving of mistakes or failure to meet goals regardless of reasons. For part of your training they'll put you in an agents office who may or may not be concerned with your development. Who may or may not be competent themselves. The "family friendly" facade is just that - a facade. You better hit your goals and you better invest every last dime you have when you get your TICA contract. Even after working laboriously and spending your own money, if you are not hitting goals - regardless of whether your rates are competitive or not - they will send you walking. TICA stands for TEMPORARY Independent Contract Agreement. So after a year, if you aren't doing what they want you to you are out, no questions asked.

The DAFO side of State Farm should look at the content of the character of their interns in addition to results.

1754 Other Employee Reviews for State Farm (View Most Recent)

Statefam slow progress, fear of decision making incompetent management

Current Employee - Systems in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Systems in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

Well I wish I could tell good things but to maintain a non biased review I have to recognize that Statefarm offers a great work physical environment located in Bloomington IL aka middle of nothing/nowhere. Although Statefarm came a long way within last few years overcoming some stiffness specific to small and medium wannabe corporate America companies, the existing middle management is way beyond what such a company would need.

Cons

They still struggle to find a way to complete the work without getting involved, without exercising any decision making UNLESS the decision making involves external contractors that usualy are the ones paying for wanting to get job done. Would I recommend this company to a young upcoming professional or to anyone as a contractor? NO. In other words if you are ready to accept becoming narrow minded, learn to avoid responsibility, grab a chair and hold it forever, cry at other incompetents' doors to getb a promotion, work in an environment governed by "let someone else do it or decide for this", work in a team to accomplish what a person shopuld be able to accomplish, work in a company that has convoluted and disconnected processes claiming a high process maturity then State Farm is for you! If on the other hand you consider yourself a change agent a team player a person with initiative someone that has integrity ... A DO-ER! then look elsewhere, run from State farm as this company will kill everything and anything you as a professional have to give. I am not saying they don't have good people, they do! but middle management is the one holding the company back with decades.

Replenish your middle tier, replace those that cannot make decisions, learn to consider contractors as change agents and SME's as you currently have people that cannot work due to your employees being scared to lose their jobs. Re-evaluate the need for teams, you currently have teams that under-perform and could be very well replaced by processes and only one custodian.
    Re-evaluate use of project management in the company and move to a projectized structure, currently you are a functional one. Build and maintain a PMO, you'd be surprised by the benefits a PMO can bring to a company this size. I have so many things I could recommend although I believ no one would listen.

Low Pay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Logan, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Logan, UT

I have been working at State Farm

Pros

Flexible, fun, people, lunch, etc.

Cons

Low Pay, No Benefits, low, low, low

N/A