State Street

There are newer employer reviews for State Street

Mind-numbing

Current Employee - Client Operations Administrator in Kansas City, MO
Current Employee - Client Operations Administrator in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at State Street full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Paid vacation
Team-oriented work environment
Location
Great benefits
Corporate community
Business casual dress code

Cons

Salary
Location
Only really busy during month end, rest of the month is dead boring
Repetitive work
Not much communication from management

If you're looking for a challenging job, this is not for you. Same things are done each and every day, the same way every time. Like the title says, extremely mind-numbing work

Management needs to be more proactive in their reviews and 1-on-1's each month

1490 Other Employee Reviews for State Street (View Most Recent)

Every day's better than the next....

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at State Street full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Somewhat of a country club atmosphere (whether I, as a manager of managers, like it or not).....most everyone is able to come and go as they please. They take care of getting my monthly transit pass for me. That's about it.

Cons

Where to begin....culture is terrible. Everyone I know hates their job. There is no incentive to work hard and provide good client service because raise percentages for most employees have not kept up with inflation over the past 2-3 years. For a certain level and above (and we're not talking about senior management, folks) pay has been frozen for the past three years, while profits have increased steadily. Advancement past the 5-6 year tenure mark is nonexistent, currently.

All proprietary systems are junk. The core accounting system is over 20 years old and so antiquated it makes me cringe. The client interface is universally hated by every client I've spoken to. Tech support is non-existent; all the talented tech folks who weren't laid off have left for greener pastures.

Senior management is absolutely, postively clueless. The hiring standards are through the floor. HR flat out refuses to revisit salary structures even though it's a fact that starting salaries at STT are 10-15% lower than local competitors. Even at middle-management levels, salaries are lagging. I was assured by the SVP of my team that I am well compensated compared to my peers....great, but I'm making 25K less than my counterpart at a comparable firm across town. If getting out of the industry altogether wasn't my ultimate goal I would've jumped ship 2 years ago.

Let us not forget about the Channel Center. Everyone in the Back Bay or in Lafayette is moving there the second we are able so that STT can cancel their leases and save some more $$$.....with just one hitch. At last count there are approximately 6K people for approximately 4K seats in the new building. So either they had better get the architect back on the phone quick and draw up another few floors, or there's gonna be a whole 'nother round of layoffs in the next 6-8 months.

There are three main sets of stakeholders any business must satsify in order to be successful: customers, shareholders, and employees. By keeping salary levels as low as possible, STT has proven that they care only for the shareholders; they are driving talented people away and killing those who stay with an awful culture. This, in turn translates to poor client service and disgruntled clients.

Instead of begging the state for tax breaks on building new offices that your employees can't even get to conveniently, invest in the employees and systems infrastructure. Ultimately, you pay for what you get, and if you keep skimping on the things that really matter to a service business (intellectual capital and tech support), you will fail. Things are going to get much, much worse at this company before they get better.

Not many options available to move within the company because of its location

Former Employee - Senior Officer in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Officer in Princeton, NJ

I worked at State Street full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Located in a quiet neighborhood; Commuting is easier if you live nearby; Work/life balance is great

Cons

No growth opportunities;Hard to move within the company unless you want to relocate to Boston.

There are newer employer reviews for State Street