State Street

www.statestreet.com
  www.statestreet.com
There are newer employer reviews for State Street

Good opportunity to learn business up until a certain point

Current Employee - Officer in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Officer in Boston, MA

I have been working at State Street full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

good networking both internally and externally

Cons

Opporutnity based on groups you are in and managers commitment to include you

1357 Other Employee Reviews for State Street (View Most Recent)

Great place to start for those with little or no experience

Current Employee - Custody Specialist in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Custody Specialist in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at State Street full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

State Street is great place to start for those who have little or no experience. You will learn quite a bit from the type of work you do. You have opportunities to seek different a position or a promotion in other departments.

Cons

Pay is very low. You will be very busy.Turnover is high. The work that you may not be related to what you learn in school. The company moved from client-based to function-based. This yields repetitive daily work and less learning opportunities .You used to learn much more when you do much more for the client.

I encourage management to create easier learning opportunities by allowing employees to work in other departments temporarily from time to time. Currently, the only way to work in another department is to apply for an opening position and goes through an interview process.

Entry level experience with no job security or upward mobility

Former Employee - Hedge Fund Accounting Supervisor in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Hedge Fund Accounting Supervisor in Boston, MA

I worked at State Street full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a good place to get a foot in the door in the financial industry.

Cons

There is almost no job security. They are constantly moving jobs overseas or out of state. There is very little upward mobility. You have to fight tooth and nail for a promotion. This place is very poorly managed at a high level. I worked in one group that was extremely understaffed and another that was so overstaffed I only did an hour of work a day. The VPs spend their time worrying about staggering lunches and making sure you're not 2 minutes late for work rather than making sure their appropriately staffed or getting enough new business to allow people to keep their jobs. I worked in multiple groups at this company and was miserable in every single one of them. If had to summarize the impression I got from upper management it would be 'just be glad you even have a job.'

At some point the revolving door of entry level staff is going to backfire and you'll start losing clients. Start trying to retain quality employees who will make processes more efficient.

There are newer employer reviews for State Street