Good working environment, uncompetitive pay

Former Employee - Vice President  in  Asia, TX
Former Employee - Vice President in Asia, TX

I worked at State Street full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice colleagues who generally have the right work attitude and ethics.
Non-aggressive, so it is very good for people in internal control and risk management functions.
Encourage internal movements, very good for learning.

Cons

Low salary.
Limited empowerment at non US locations. All key decisions are escalated to US Headoffice. Low efficiency.

Other Reviews for State Street

I loved every minute working at State Street.

Current Employee - Operations Officer  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Operations Officer in Boston, MA

I have been working at State Street full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There are lots of opportunities for lateral as well as promotional advancement. The office environment is clean and they have opened brand new offices in Boston in recent years.

Cons

At times it felt like a boys club, but feel that it has gotten better. Depending on the individual, at time the atmosphere was very collegiate, and did not always feel professional.

Sad and Disappointing

Former Employee - Fund Administrator - Associate II  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Fund Administrator - Associate II in Kansas City, MO

I worked at State Street full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice people in HR and Training groups and co-workers were very nice. Company sponsored activities were fun and made the day to day work life enjoyable.

Cons

Most of my group quit just before I started and it didn't take long to figure out why. The departments are so segmented that it is difficult as a new employee to learn your job. I tried for almost a year and it was getting harder and harder to figure things out. I had so many managers that it was often confusing and they didn't seem to know their job either. State Street offered lots of training classes that would seem very useful while in the classroom, but then I would get back to my department only to be told "we don't do it that way" but then no instruction on how to "do it". There were endless checklists that we were required to sign off, most of which made sense only to the person who created them, and again no way to translate into non corporate lingo. I know I possessed the required intelligence to do my job as after all this is financial reporting and not rocket science but they were just unwilling to provide the tools.

Be nice. Provide better training and encourage your employees rather than threaten them. We are all supposed to be on the same team.

There are newer employer reviews for State Street.

Worked for State Street? Contribute to the Community!