State of Arizona

There are newer employer reviews for State of Arizona

Frustrated

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
Current Employee - Network Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at State of Arizona full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Did not have to move to keep job

Cons

Legislature Mirco Manages all projects even though they lack the knowledge

Understand the out come before you pick your philosophy

72 Other Employee Reviews for State of Arizona (View Most Recent)

DVOP

Current Employee - DVOP in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - DVOP in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at State of Arizona full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Assist Veterans overcome their barriers to employment and enable them to become job ready.

Cons

Inhibit employee from preforming stated mission by redefining mission statement which contradicts DOL directives .

Make DOL directives required reading by all supervisory personnel instead of "this is the way we've always done it."

DOA not a 5-star organization and CIO office is "Done Manifesto" passdown without resources

Current Employee - IT Specialist IV in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - IT Specialist IV in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at State of Arizona full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work your 40 hrs (and many people work less).
    Covered parking garage.
    You can truly make a difference and gain some autonomy if you work for a manager who is not a micro-manager and trusts you to be the competent professional you were hired to be. I find it stifling and micromanaged like hourly paid technicians and administrator people and not managed as a professional--except when somebody wants to pass the buck on why something is wrong and why it's not their fault. You get a lot of responsiblity in this case--but no other.

Cons

Contractors not utilized for skills and experience--depends on who you work for
    Rigid in work hours, expected to be 8-5 and a few special people in DOA get to work differently.
    In a normal environment, a CIO and Deputy CIO would not be hired without experience at that level
    it's about who you can please if you want to succeed, and if you are a peon or not a manager, good luck with getting any recognition. But people will be happy to take credit for your work and put their name on it after you do the most of it. This includes your direct managers. I find this environment unfriendly and oppressive.
    People do not cooperate with you do get the done. They come to work, keep their eyes and head down and don't even talk most of the time. They do not respond unless their manager tells them to publicly. Then good luck with actually getting that support. We have too many things going on with too few people and too many people who think they're in charge.
    Political agenda and I mean rampant behavior for self-protectionism in some managers that is for the good of the individual not the organization. Toxic people are allowed to stay and are rewarded.
    What we say the culture is--with those little email messages and awards events--it not what the embedded culture really is.
    Low pay compared to market.

Hire competent people and let them do their job. Most of all, take off the blinders for hierarchy--you have to butt-kiss to be seen and heard here--and there are many other performers besides the ones you call direct staff and let inside the power hierarchy. Everybody else is ignored.

There are newer employer reviews for State of Arizona