There are newer employer reviews for State of Colorado

Enjoyable/growth opportunities then director retired. New director micromanages, employing parental supervisory style.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant III in Denver, CO

I worked at State of Colorado full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting work, reasonable schedule, decent benefits including retirement & long-term disability. Supportive of personal development in job-related areas; seminars, webinars, conferences, etc.

Cons

Budget is controlled by state legislature. Individuals can be petty tyrants, fostering a hostile work environment, blatantly "playing favorites"; & they just put in their time. Salary freezes for years are common depending on state revenue.

Extend some trust to your supervisees.

reviews filtered by

Management needs to be trained before filling those positions, and all managers should treat employees the same.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant III in Denver, CO

I worked at State of Colorado full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of great people work there, supposedly great job security, and all of the crazy holidays that schools get off, we got off, as well. We were also offered a flex schedule where we worked 9 hour days and got every other Monday or Friday off, which was very nice.

Cons

Each unit manager was allowed to treat their employees differently than others, so while some employees got to set their hours, watch movies at their desks, work overtime, and got promoted for it, I was not allowed to work overtime, was forced into a specific schedule, taken off of flex time, and berated for trying to make up hours that I may have missed due to doctor's appointments. We, as public servants, did not receive raises for five years because we were the first to feel the pinch of the economic downturn, and the last to reap the benefits when it started looking up. Though I was told repeatedly that I would be able to move up quickly within the Department, I was not given the opportunity after I had to take time off due to cancer surgeries. Those days off were held against me by my manager, and I was, essentially punished for being sick. The compensation was low, the cost of benefits (health insurance) was very high, and didn't cover much.

Learn to listen to your employees, and treat them with respect and dignity. Before promoting someone to a management position, make sure that they take some training on how to do that job. If you can't offer improvements to compensation, at least help the employees to feel appreciated in other ways. When an employee complains about how they feel they're being treated, listen to them as well as who they're complaining about, because I was lied about by numerous people to cover for my supervisor, though those same people agreed with me about his treatment of me (and others sometimes), and advised me to go to HR about it; but when asked directly about it, they lied.

Great Place to Work

I worked at State of Colorado

Pros

Great benefits! Managed very well

Cons

No opportunity to move up

There are newer employer reviews for State of Colorado