State of Colorado

www.colorado.gov
  www.colorado.gov
There are newer employer reviews for State of Colorado

Enjoyable/growth opportunities then director retired. New director micromanages, employing parental supervisory style.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant III in Denver, CO

I worked at State of Colorado full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting work, reasonable schedule, decent benefits including retirement & long-term disability. Supportive of personal development in job-related areas; seminars, webinars, conferences, etc.

Cons

Budget is controlled by state legislature. Individuals can be petty tyrants, fostering a hostile work environment, blatantly "playing favorites"; & they just put in their time. Salary freezes for years are common depending on state revenue.

Extend some trust to your supervisees.

47 Other Employee Reviews for State of Colorado (View Most Recent)

I did my time...

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at State of Colorado full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The good thing about working for the State of Colorado in IT is that you'll be able to support large networks with a lot of different equipment, applications and users. There are also many different disciplines within the State of Colorado, so if you get stagnant in one position, through a little bit of networking with co-workers, you can easily move around to keep yourself interested.

Cons

Extraordinarily tight budgets don't permit a lot of modern IT infrastructure to exist, so be prepared to know legacy infrastructure. Management doesn't permit a lot of innovation to exist and the way to be promoted is to play the politics and not necessarily be a high performer. Salary and benefits are mediocre, but I would not want to be vested in the PERA retirement system at all. Pay increases are extraordinarily small and the only way to secure a substantial increase is to be promoted, find another position within the State or leave altogether.

Value training of your employees and increase those training budgets by orders of magnitude. Don't be afraid to send your people out of state for training. Consider a backed pay-for-performance program that rewards your high performers so that you can retain good talent. Your people are leaving in numbers and high turnover should be a message. Modernize your IT infrastructure.

Management needs to be trained before filling those positions, and all managers should treat employees the same.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant III in Denver, CO

I worked at State of Colorado full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of great people work there, supposedly great job security, and all of the crazy holidays that schools get off, we got off, as well. We were also offered a flex schedule where we worked 9 hour days and got every other Monday or Friday off, which was very nice.

Cons

Each unit manager was allowed to treat their employees differently than others, so while some employees got to set their hours, watch movies at their desks, work overtime, and got promoted for it, I was not allowed to work overtime, was forced into a specific schedule, taken off of flex time, and berated for trying to make up hours that I may have missed due to doctor's appointments. We, as public servants, did not receive raises for five years because we were the first to feel the pinch of the economic downturn, and the last to reap the benefits when it started looking up. Though I was told repeatedly that I would be able to move up quickly within the Department, I was not given the opportunity after I had to take time off due to cancer surgeries. Those days off were held against me by my manager, and I was, essentially punished for being sick. The compensation was low, the cost of benefits (health insurance) was very high, and didn't cover much.

Learn to listen to your employees, and treat them with respect and dignity. Before promoting someone to a management position, make sure that they take some training on how to do that job. If you can't offer improvements to compensation, at least help the employees to feel appreciated in other ways. When an employee complains about how they feel they're being treated, listen to them as well as who they're complaining about, because I was lied about by numerous people to cover for my supervisor, though those same people agreed with me about his treatment of me (and others sometimes), and advised me to go to HR about it; but when asked directly about it, they lied.

There are newer employer reviews for State of Colorado