There are newer employer reviews for State of Illinois

Great casual place to work!

Current Contractor - Entry-Level in Springfield, IL
Current Contractor - Entry-Level in Springfield, IL

I have been working at State of Illinois as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy my co-workers and the casual/laid-back feel. We get our work done, but we don't feel too stressed either.

Cons

May be difficult transitioning to the private sector after an extended time in a public position. It will take awhile to get acclimated to the private pace of things.

Advice to Management

Nothing. Great place

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Intern, Great Experience, not for me

Former Intern - Business Finance Intern in Springfield, IL
    Former Intern - Business Finance Intern in Springfield, IL

I worked at State of Illinois as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

There are some great people who work here that do not fall into typical state worker description. Very laid back atmosphere with very little stress.

Cons

Lack of motivation from many employees can make for some long days. Many of the processes are very bureaucratic and make it nearly impossible to change. Union environment is not conducive to productivity.

Advice to Management

Getting more motivated people on the bus will make the whole process much better.

2. Lack of strong management.

Former Employee - Teacher's Aide/Bus Driver in Virden, IL
    Former Employee - Teacher's Aide/Bus Driver in Virden, IL

I worked at State of Illinois full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked through the Head Start division of I.V.E.D.C. and loved working with the kids and families that I had the privilege of having in my classroom.

Cons

Management never is willing to give you a clear answer on any question you ask. The standard response is always "do whatever you think is best for your center", which is fine except that later they come back and tell you that whatever you've done isn't what they wanted. You are under constant threat of having funding cut by the federal government and you don't know from one day to the next if your job is going to exist the next fiscal quarter.

Advice to Management

Bring in fresh management. Convince the people that have been running the program for more than 30 years that it is time for them to retire. They are still attempting to use antiquated ideals and policies and those have no place in today's education system.