State of Michigan
www.michigan.gov Lansing, MI 5000+ Employees

Running on Ice

Unemployment Insurance Analyst (Former Employee)
Detroit, MI

I worked at State of Michigan full-time for more than 5 years

Prosgood pay, benefits. Rewarding experience to be of service the State. Technology in workplace is improving.

Consdue to political nature, meaning actual Politics, ever changing workplace with no set goals. Salary is paid by Federal government, but you are treated as either a State or Federal employee depending on which is easier for Management to justify questionable, often dishonest, decisions. Management will not support you. Usual problems with Union jobs: no matter how hard you work or skilled you are you co-worker makes the same as you, Union is simply more politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementTransparency. Understand 'metrics' are more complicated in public sector- the level or rework constantly increases. Listen to lower Management who know the work since upper management are essentially 'appointed positions.' Show integrity.

Great student job, flexible schedule, very good pay

Student Assistant (Current Employee)
Lansing, MI

I have been working at State of Michigan as an intern for more than a year

Pros: Pay, flexible schedule, good people/culture. Laid back environment. Cons: Varying workload, no health insurance or paid vacation/sick days etc… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Legal Extern

Legal Extern (Former Employee)
Lansing, MI

I worked at State of Michigan as an intern for less than a year

Pros: Staff at Dept. of State are all dedicated, intelligent and… Cons: I had to pay for parking. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on State of Michigan.

Worked for State of Michigan? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at State of Michigan reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for State of Michigan CEO Richard Dale "Rick" Snyder. All reviews posted anonymously by State of Michigan employees.