State of Michigan

There are newer employer reviews for State of Michigan

Running on Ice

Former Employee - Unemployment Insurance Analyst in Detroit, MI
Former Employee - Unemployment Insurance Analyst in Detroit, MI

I worked at State of Michigan full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good pay, benefits. Rewarding experience to be of service the State. Technology in workplace is improving.

Cons

due to political nature, meaning actual Politics, ever changing workplace with no set goals. Salary is paid by Federal government, but you are treated as either a State or Federal employee depending on which is easier for Management to justify questionable, often dishonest, decisions. Management will not support you. Usual problems with Union jobs: no matter how hard you work or skilled you are you co-worker makes the same as you, Union is simply more politics.

Transparency. Understand 'metrics' are more complicated in public sector- the level or rework constantly increases. Listen to lower Management who know the work since upper management are essentially 'appointed positions.' Show integrity.

186 Other Employee Reviews for State of Michigan (View Most Recent)

Great experience

Current Intern - Construction Co-op in Sterling Heights, MI
    Current Intern - Construction Co-op in Sterling Heights, MI

I have been working at State of Michigan as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

As an intern, I learned a lot, especially on the construction site. The employees the enjoy working there and appreciate their jobs are the best to learn from. Great work environment.

Cons

Too many people were there that don't really do anything. Of course, this is typical of a government job, but there are many that are there just waiting for their retirements and benefits, knowing they have good job security.

I enjoy working for the dept. of corrections as a nurse

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Adrian, MI
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Adrian, MI

I have been working at State of Michigan full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, Good pay and benefits.

Cons

Wondering if I will have a job due to talk of privatizing when the budget is in crisis

There are newer employer reviews for State of Michigan