There are newer employer reviews for State of Minnesota

Highly rewarding being able to help job-seekers, in their pursuit of emplyment.

Former Employee - Workforce Development Specialist in Brooklyn Park, MN
Former Employee - Workforce Development Specialist in Brooklyn Park, MN

Pros

Seeing the progression of your clients, from the transition entry point, to the end result of gainful employment, is exciting. Being able to help job-seekers, gain, or refine the skills necessary in the current employment search, is very rewarding.

Cons

Retention dependent solely upon funding capabilities can be nerve racking, especially for people without experience in the private sector. Work areas are (understandably) often understaffed as Personnel placement is tied to the fore-mentioned funding issue.

Advice to Management

Look at an individual's talent more than their experience alone, or even skill by itself. We know that skill sets can transfer quite nicely, however talent, which is innate, and will enable the person to flourish in their vocation.

Other Employee Reviews for State of Minnesota

Job is great, management not so much

Former Employee - Senior Court Clerk in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Court Clerk in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Working there provided me with fantastic benefits and I really felt like I was making a difference in my community. I was able to work a flexible schedule to attend classes that started at 4-5 pm.

Cons

Often times management made life miserable for their employees. And if it wasn't management then the union allowed for some employees who didn't contribute much in the way of work to maintain their position.

Advice to Management

Hire people that are able to lead and manage their staff. If your employee has proven themselves to be an able employee, leave them alone. Do not micro-manage if you do not need to. Also, support your staff when they're doing the right thing.

2. The State of Minnesota is a great employer.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MO

Pros

Nice hours and work schedule.

Cons

Salary compensation is sometimes lacking.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't give any; Senior Management does an excellent job.