State of Nevada

www.nv.gov

Work environment and my experience working for State of Nevada.

Current Employee - Health Care Coordinator I  in  Las Vegas, NV
Current Employee - Health Care Coordinator I in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Flexible schedule, holidays off and good environment. Opportunities to help others and stay involved in the ever changing government policies.

Cons

Low Salary, and furlough days that must be taken. There is very little chance for advancement in the Las Vegas area. Most senior positions are in Carson City, Nevada. You would need to move for advancement.

I really love my manager, just continue to be positive and supportive. They have been fair and constantly flexible with scheduling and the policy changes we must keep up with.

Other reviews for State of Nevada

Only if you're desperate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

Pros

Holidays, furloughs were actually kind of nice, decent vacation time.

Cons

Direct supervision is just fine but senior management is a mess. The CSE manager I had for the first few years of my employment was a nightmare - very mean spirited, rude, and played favorites. Such traits would have been merely tolerable had she not been an utterly incompetent beast who had no business managing anyone. Nobody was ever on the same page - it was chaotic. Central Office made things much worse by expecting workers and supervisors to jump when they said so - I got the feeling that most of the people in charge only got there because of WHO they know, not WHAT they know. Things got better the last few months of employment because an actual competent, mentally sane office manager was hired to oversee the office.

Promote people based on their talent, not how much you like them.

OK. Not as good as it used to be.

Former Employee - IT Professional  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - IT Professional in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Working for the state at least you have job security. Once you pass the 1 year probation that is. 2 weeks vacation per year, major holidays off. That's about it.

Cons

The pay is lower than the private sector or even the county. State employees have been abused by pay cuts and furloughs. Longevity and cost of living increases have been frozen for years. Health benefits have been seriously reduced. Promotions are very "Carson" centric. If you live in Las Vegas most likely you will be screwed with promotions because it always seems someone in Carson gets it. It's happened to me multiple times. Employees that were lower level or been with the state for less were promoted because they do not move positions down to Las Vegas.

Not much management can do. It's all politics.

There are newer employer reviews for State of Nevada.

Worked for State of Nevada? Contribute to the Community!