State of North Carolina

www.nc.gov
  www.nc.gov
There are newer employer reviews for State of North Carolina

moving water uphill with a rope

I have been working at State of North Carolina

Pros

Hey its state government you can screw up forever and never get fired. If you are into endless meetings where nothing gets decided then this is the place for you.

Cons

See Pros. If you expect to make a differance then you should not even attempt to work for State Government.

Just because you have always done it that way does not mean it's not incredibly stupid. Trust your technical staff and quit relying on Vendors to design your infrastructure!.

54 Other Employee Reviews for State of North Carolina (View Most Recent)

It's all in who you know

I have been working at State of North Carolina

Pros

the Dept. does serve a vital function in our state, and as an employee of the department, and the state, there is a very real sense of doing something for the greater good.
    It's a paycheck in a very rough economic time.

Cons

Wow. Low pay in relation to private sector (same job). VERY poor benefits. Lack of respect from peers in private industry. Promotions are NOT merit based...and we are top-heavy with individuals that lack both leadership qualities AND skill-based qualities. As such, you have managers leaning too heavily on lower-level employees, whom quickly become disgruntled.

This is truly a poisonous atmosphere...the worst I have ever worked in.

Look around at your employees. things were so bad, HR was required to come in and do a "climate" evaluation because of the number of complaints...and the employees got NO FEEDBACK.
    Your favoritism and disdain for career state employees is evident (read your climate responses!). This hasn't changed. I think if you showed some respect to people who are products of the environment that they built their career in, they'd embrace the change you wish to implement much more readily than treating them like garbage.

NEEDS IMPROVEMENT

Current Employee - Producer Director in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Producer Director in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at State of North Carolina

Pros

There are many things I like about my job: the security, health insurance, job flexibility, variety of duties, the opportunity to travel and train on occasion but what I like best about working for the government is the feeling of service. Public service was not something I considered growing up but I like to think that what I do actually has some small impact on the public good if only to inform and educate.

Cons

I have many issues with state government: the multitude of bureaucratic processes, nepotism/good old boy network/cronyism, uninformed clients, last minute deadlines on majority of projects, maintenance issues, unsympathetic management, uninformed management, poor planning, poor communication, lack of planning, difficult personalities, unwillingness to try new/different ideas or concepts, and apathy for the job.

My best advice is to listen to the little guy. Listen and follow through on employee feedback, show some appreciation for hard work or job well done not just the mistakes. Finding quality employees is hard enough but keeping is that much harder.

There are newer employer reviews for State of North Carolina