State of North Carolina

www.nc.gov
There are newer employer reviews for State of North Carolina

ok

I have been working at State of North Carolina

Pros

Retirement benefits are some of the best

Cons

not having a union representation

none

54 Other Employee Reviews for State of North Carolina (View Most Recent)

moving water uphill with a rope

I have been working at State of North Carolina

Pros

Hey its state government you can screw up forever and never get fired. If you are into endless meetings where nothing gets decided then this is the place for you.

Cons

See Pros. If you expect to make a differance then you should not even attempt to work for State Government.

Just because you have always done it that way does not mean it's not incredibly stupid. Trust your technical staff and quit relying on Vendors to design your infrastructure!.

It's all in who you know

I have been working at State of North Carolina

Pros

the Dept. does serve a vital function in our state, and as an employee of the department, and the state, there is a very real sense of doing something for the greater good.
    It's a paycheck in a very rough economic time.

Cons

Wow. Low pay in relation to private sector (same job). VERY poor benefits. Lack of respect from peers in private industry. Promotions are NOT merit based...and we are top-heavy with individuals that lack both leadership qualities AND skill-based qualities. As such, you have managers leaning too heavily on lower-level employees, whom quickly become disgruntled.

This is truly a poisonous atmosphere...the worst I have ever worked in.

Look around at your employees. things were so bad, HR was required to come in and do a "climate" evaluation because of the number of complaints...and the employees got NO FEEDBACK.
    Your favoritism and disdain for career state employees is evident (read your climate responses!). This hasn't changed. I think if you showed some respect to people who are products of the environment that they built their career in, they'd embrace the change you wish to implement much more readily than treating them like garbage.

There are newer employer reviews for State of North Carolina