There are newer employer reviews for State of Texas

Disappointing - reputation of great benefits (compared to private sector)/opportunities for promotion were unfounded.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at State of Texas

Pros

Even though it is completely wasteful and inefficient, I am still proud to be part of social services - helping those who need a hand up in bad times.

Cons

I was hoping for job security, great benefits for me and my family, and an opportunity to be promoted from within. As it turns out, TX HHSC is essentially in a hiring freeze for many positions and as we have lost employees due to attrition, we haven't been allowed to fill those vacated positions. Instead, the rest of the employees have taken on the additional work with no pay raises in years and no compensation or promotions. In terms of benefits: I gross $2900/per month and after taxes and paying for life insurance and defering 1% to my 401k, and paying appr. $500 for health insurance for me and my husband and my child (with no previous health issues!), I bring home around $1,800 per month. It's not enough to live on and we are quickly falling into debt, even though we live frugally. I am searching for another job (both within the state and in the private sector) but times are lean all around. Getting a degree from UT was no help. I can't believe I'm still an admin - my references are impeccable and my skills and experience are great and I consistently receive "commendable" or "distinguished" ratings on my evaluations. I just can't seem to bust out of the admin glass ceiling here at the state. It is a shame for the state bc everyone quickly learns that to 'move up' in the state, you have to 'move on'. This is a complete waste in terms of expertise leaving when in reality: just basic recognition and salary increases and opportunities for promotion would KEEP employees happy and motivated. Instead, they are spending time and money and effort hiring and training and then losing employees over and over and again and again. I find this to be amazingly wasteful for the taxpayers. Sadly, I'll have to move on soon myself if I can't find another opportunity within the State of Texas...

It's a bureaucracy so I don't know what management can do without a major overhaul from the legislature allowing for promotions and pay raises. With the budget crises we're facing as a state and a nation right now, I don't see this happening anytime soon. I do predict a mass exodus of state employees leaving for the private sector once the economy picks up. When? that's anyone's guess...

56 Other Employee Reviews for State of Texas (View Most Recent)

Challenging

I have been working at State of Texas

Pros

Flexible
    Sufficient training
    Learn a lot of new things

Cons

No communication from management on down

Work is awesome and very good but management is not

I have been working at State of Texas

Pros

work schedule is most of the time set
    benefits are very good with the state
    paid time off is almost 2 weeks every year

Cons

bad management
    favoritism
    low level of professionalism

There are newer employer reviews for State of Texas

Worked for State of Texas? Contribute to the Community!