State of Utah
www.utah.gov Salt Lake City, UT 5000+ Employees

Employment with the state: It can be rewarding, but apathy and incompetence are a bit too commonplace

Laboratory Manager (Current Employee)

ProsUnique experiences which would be hard to obtain in other settings. Good benefits including pension. Company goals, values, and accomplishments are meaningful, and valuable to the community.

ConsIt can be very hit-or-miss with regards to management. Many areas have very reasonable managers/supervisors that work well and encourage and reward employees, other areas have terrible managers with terrible interpersonal skills and a complete lack of professionalism. In my experience, incompetent individuals have been promoted to management based merely on their incompetence at performing their duties, and it was easier to promote than to go through the process of building a case for termination. In general I would say that this is becoming less common, and HR is getting better at preventing such things, but incompetence is still all to common.
Raises, bonuses, and incentives are essentially non-existent, which leads to general apathy.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt can be very hit-or-miss with regards to management. Many areas have very reasonable managers/supervisors that work well and encourage and reward employees, other areas have terrible managers with terrible interpersonal skills and a complete lack of professionalism. In my experience, incompetent individuals have been promoted to management based merely on their incompetence at performing their duties, and it was easier to promote than to go through the process of building a case for termination. In general I would say that this is becoming less common, and HR is getting better at preventing such things, but incompetence is still all to common.

Juvenile Court senior probation officer

Probation Officer III (Current Employee)

I have been working at State of Utah full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: The state has excellent benefits including generous vacation and sick leave, good health insurance at a very reasonable price, and good retirement benefits. State… Cons: The salary as a state employee is far below what would be expected in the private sector. Also, any secondary employment has to be approved… Advice to Senior Management: Provide more training and opportunities for staff who are interested… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Really good honest hard work

Eligibility Specialist (Current Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at State of Utah full-time for more than a year

Pros: Good people, a good chance for promotions, an organization that really… Cons: You can feel like a sausage in the grinder because there is not a lot of… Advice to Senior Management: I am struck by the amount of turnover for Specialists, especially given the large amount of time and money spent… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on State of Utah.

Worked for State of Utah? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at State of Utah reviews and ratings. All reviews posted anonymously by State of Utah employees.