State of Utah

www.utah.gov

Wonderful people to work with but LOW SALARIES and NEPOTISM.

(Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsThe atmosphere is generally professional and co-workers are incredibly friendly.

ConsElected officials score political points by keeping state employee salaries far below market value. Jobs that do pay well are awarded to friends and family. I lost motivation to seek stick with this employer after I witnessed two separate incidences of nepotism. To make matters worse, people didn't seem to think there was anything wrong with nepotism.

Advice to Senior ManagementState employee salaries do not need to be sky-high but they must be set near, if not at, average market levels. Otherwise the people who carry out your policies are going to struggle to maintain motivation. If you treat your employees well, they will always perform at a higher level and that is the goal of Utah's legislature and executive arms. Then citizens will receive even better service from state employees.

Nepotism also hurts performance. When an aspiring employee sees a job awarded to management's under qualified friend or family member they conclude that hard work does not pay here. They would be right to believe this.

Department of Corrections

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Gunnison, UT

I have been working at State of Utah full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Good coworkers. Interesting work. It will change your perspective. Cons: Too many meetings. Masculine perspective from both staff and inmates. Advice to Senior Management: Stop talking and DO something Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

High achievers not recognized

IT Analyst (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at State of Utah full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Flexible Hours. Multiple challenging tasks. Time to learn new technologies. No pressure environment. Cons: Incompetency is accepted and even promoted. Innovation is not rewarded by recognition… Advice to Senior Management: Reward high achievers, It is hard when they have to show folks who make more than… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on State of Utah.

Worked for State of Utah? Contribute to the Community!